1940s-50s movie trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

1940s-50s movie trailer

This has been bothering me for quite some time. Im looking to imitate the movie trailers of the 1940s and 1950s that were popular with B horror/sci-fi movies. There's filters in final cut that can give me the sepia tone of the film, the problem is the text that pops on the screen

For those not familiar see here
YouTube - Monster on the Campus Trailer (1958)

here
YouTube - It Conquered the World movie trailer

I'm guessing this could be done in After Effects?

Any advice?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm sure I could do it in After Effects, but I could also do it in Sony Vegas. I don't know anything about Final Cut.

Think of how they did it back in the 50s. They would create a title card by hand, film it, and use crude chyron/chromakey techniques to overlay the title over the film. If you wanted a real authentic look, you could do that.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Major Player

The lettering is hand drawn, then laid over the picture with an optical printer. The moves & wipes of the text are also done as opticals.

If you have a Wacom tablet or screen, you could easily draw text in Illustrator or Photoshop and then apply the same kind of moves & wipes that they did in these trailers.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

You can do the "zoom-in", wipe, drop shadows and other transition effects with animating video filters, and motion settings in Final Cut.

You could create the text itself in FCP, but using Photoshop would likely be easier.

Don't forget to add a little motion jitter to mimic the gate weave in those old cameras/projectors.
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Check out this title software:

Outerspace Software: 3D Effects for Video Titling and Digital Signage - HomePage

I have it and am going to give it try for the 40's/50's look.

Great trailers by the way.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects