Smoke jet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Smoke jet

I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of any tutorials for After Effects that would help me achieve a smoke jet effect such as you would see coming out the back of an aerobatics aircraft. I want to use it as part of a lower third.

Many thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Red Giant's Particular could do that with ease. Plug in for AE.
It could also be done in Motion without the plugin. My guess is that with a few tweaks to the particle image, the stock AE could do it too.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the reply Robert. I'll look into Particular (especially as you used the words 'with ease'!). What I was really hoping for is a tutorial on how to use the stock AE to produce the effect.

My objective is to have an aircraft wipe across from L to R, trailing thick white smoke which dissipates to reveal underlying text (the name of the person being interviewed).
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I think you could play around with the Fractal Noise effect. Give is a whitish/greyish color via Colorama. Add Turbulent Displacement(?) to give in motion. Then create a round rectangular mask to give is shape & keyframe it from zero, to it's entire length.

Sounds easier said that done I'm sure, but worth playing around with to see if you can get it.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks David, I'll give that a whirl. About to play with the trial of Particle although to be honest I can't really justify $399 for this project!
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Major Player

I use Boris Continuum, as well as Particular. Either will work. I believe there is some stock AE effects that will work as well. It's been a while since I've used the stock AE effects and don't remember. I'll take a look when I get home.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Ian. I've made you a version with CC Particle World which might be a starting point but unfortunately the forum doesn't accept aep files so I've send a personal email to you with my contact info if you're interested. Version CS3.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects