DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   Magic Bullet Mojo, anyone using it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/487462-magic-bullet-mojo-anyone-using.html)

Ben Tolosa November 13th, 2010 10:08 PM

Magic Bullet Mojo, anyone using it?

Friends,

I am doing some research about the endless topic of 'film look'. Specifically about tools that do most of the job for you. I use a Canon 7D and I edit with Final Cut Pro.

I came across this software / plug in called 'Magic Bullet Mojo' and I am kind of blown away by the results I found. I watched several videos online but just these two kind of sold it to me:

YouTube - ww2 short film canon 550D standard footage no effects no mojo HD

YouTube - ww2 short film canon eos 550D test magic bullet mojo war 1.2 HD

Anyone with experience using this software?

Input very much appreciated!!

Jeff Anselmo November 15th, 2010 12:13 PM

Hi Ben

I own the MB Suite, which includes Mojo. Although I haven't had time (or projects) to really use Mojo, I think it's a really cool plug in. And I have used Colorista (now Colorista 2) and MB Looks on past projects.

I shot this with the new Canon XF300 camera and used Colorista and Mojo (sparingly :)

Best,

PS--MB Suite also comes with other plug ins, like a damaged and cracked filmstrip look (which I've used), and a de-noiser (haven't used yet) that's supposed to be really good as well.

Ben Tolosa November 17th, 2010 10:11 PM

Thanks Jeff!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 1588257)
Hi Ben

I own the MB Suite, which includes Mojo. Although I haven't had time (or projects) to really use Mojo, I think it's a really cool plug in. And I have used Colorista (now Colorista 2) and MB Looks on past projects.

I shot this with the new Canon XF300 camera and used Colorista and Mojo (sparingly :)

OhNo Fast then Slow! on Vimeo

Best,

PS--MB Suite also comes with other plug ins, like a damaged and cracked filmstrip look (which I've used), and a de-noiser (haven't used yet) that's supposed to be really good as well.

Hey Jeff,

Well, thank you for the advice; I appreciate it. Very cool job you did. Did you shoot it 24p? Did you crank it to 30p in post? Or just shot it in 30p?

Did you use the XF300's lens?

I am already sold on Mojo, I am going to give it a shot for 99 bucks because all I want is a quick tool to get film look and preserving the skin tones. I could get similar results with Color but takes me a lot more time to do so.

Thanks for you message!!

Jeff Anselmo November 27th, 2010 11:06 AM

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late reply!

That was shot with the XF300 stock lens (as the 300/305 doesn't have interchangeable lenses), and I believe at 24p.

The shot where my wife is cleaning up the yard was ramped up in Premiere Pro CS5; but all the slow mo/overcrank was done in camera.

And yeah, I'd definitely check out/download Mojo, and try it out :)

Best,

Kris Koster January 21st, 2011 11:39 AM

I agree, Mojo is fantastic for a quick solution. Having said that, I prefer to use Colorista 2, sometimes with Magic Bullet on jobs that require more time and effort. There's more range and a more unique look for your film. Afterall, you probably wouldn't want *all* your films to have that same look.

Here's a music video I've only just finished. It was on a very tight deadline and I didn't have enough post production time to colour after compositing my FX, so I used Mojo exclusively to get it out the door: