Picking a 3D program to learn, how? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old June 19th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: Picking a 3D program to learn, how?

I recently started looking up photogrammetry which is just cool. Taking pictures of different angles and then converting them to a 3D model. Anyone use this for serious work? Some apps: ImageModeler by Autodesk, PhotoModeler, Insight3D.

PhotoModeler's SmartMatch - YouTube
Ammar Ijaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Trustee

Cool video, thanks for sharing. How different is it from wrapping skins around models in 3D Max or Maya?
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:26 AM   #18
New Boot

Great thread, I've been in a similar situation. I love After Effects, but feel like I wanna take the next step. Lynda, Video Copilot etc. have taught me a lot. fxphd looks real intriguing.

I've looked up Maya before, but buying that or C4D just isnt possible for me right now. I'm real excited to give Blender another look now with these new tutorials, thanks!
Jerry Karvasale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Cool video, thanks for sharing. How different is it from wrapping skins around models in 3D Max or Maya?
I'm afraid I have no idea. I'm just starting to mess around with 3D. This just seemed like an easier way to create the model in the first place.
Ammar Ijaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:00 AM   #20
Trustee

Photogrammetry works the other way, it takes the photos and creates the model from them... Autodesk 123D - 123D Catch turn photos into 3D models does this as well (and is also free ?).
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #21
New Boot

While you can scan and create a textured 3D object you still have to animate and render it in a 3D app like Blender.

I gave up on pay ware years ago, and found Blender had many of the features that I needed. And now many more I didn't know I wanted. Tracking is very good these days and it now has a world class compositor as well.

Check out the latest Open Movie from the Blender institute codenamed Mango or titled Tears of Steel. Greenscreened actors and 3D animation/set extension etc.
David Mcsween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:17 AM   #22
Major Player

We run a number of apps at our shop including C4D. My personal tools for 3D include a mix of Lightwave, Modo and Blender. Modo 701 is a serious contender with updated animation, particles and it's easy to pick up and use, very much like C4D in many ways. Lightwave has always been my go to, great renderer, integrates well with AE now and also with Fusion and Nuke. Both Modo and LW combined is still a grand less than C4D too.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects