Spherical panoramas and 3D visual effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 18th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Spherical panoramas and 3D visual effects

I saw few film crews shooting films or commercials. Sometimes they finished filming of particular scene and somebody said "lets do 3D". Then a photographer came and did spherical panorama with still camera (with three shots - left, right and the front side of the set). I know how spherical panoramas look like, but I am wondering whats the usage of this for 3D effects...
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Spherical panoramas and 3D visual effects

Previously they used a mirror ball but nowadays they use DSLRs. This image is used as a lighting map which will be used as a guideline for CGI elements that need to be seamlessly composited into the scene. It's also called a reference or environmental lighting map.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the answer.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

well, the mirror ball is totally different than the panoramic picture.
The goal of the mirror ball is to catch reflection from the scene. There is no simpler way to do it.
so, when you set the light from computer CGI, you just create a CGI mirror ball and compare the redering with the real ball. When you cannot make the difference between the two balls, then the result is perfect.
That means any object put into the scene will receive and reflect the light as in the real shot, same color, same intensity, same direction.

I do not really see how a panorama could give the same result.
I think the panorame is there to give a backround picture to a CGI scene, When the virtual camera will move into the scene, they will need the backround. It is easier to take the 360 view than calculate what you would need exactly.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects