DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   Compositing or special effects forum? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/63376-compositing-special-effects-forum.html)

Jemore Santos March 21st, 2006 06:36 AM

Compositing or special effects forum?

Hey Chris just wondering if we can have a forum dedicated to special effects, compositing or motion graphics? People might need help with programs such as after effects, motion, flame, inferno or shake?

That would be tops if you can add that in!

Martin Costa March 21st, 2006 07:01 AM

That's a great idea, i'd second it.

Rob Lohman March 21st, 2006 07:03 AM

Jemero: at the moment there is no such forum. There is sometimes a topic on
After Effects in the Adobe forums for example.

Usually Chris starts a forum when there is sufficient traffic to warrant one
(ie, enough topics on the subject) so we don't have empty forums.

So the best way to get it is to start discussing those subjects! The best place
to do that in is probably the Open DV Discussion forum.

Thanks for the feedback!

p.s. Chris will respond to this topic as well with the "final" answer. I just
wanted to give you a heads up on how this usually works here.

Emre Safak March 21st, 2006 07:08 AM

I'm all for it.

Jemore Santos March 21st, 2006 07:22 AM

Hopefully we can get enough feed back to create a demand for it, honestly this is the creme dela creme of video sites if we can get that, its basically covering almost everything on what video is all about.

ok let ask a question

Does anybody know what plugin I can get for AE or motion for that old skool 8mm look even when the film burns out. I would love to know what its called and where I can get it.

Rob Lohman March 21st, 2006 07:31 AM

Jemore: http://www.adobe.com/products/plugin...ects/main.html

The one I always hear about is DigiEffects' CineLook. However, there are multiple plugins on that page for (old) film emulation.

Jemore Santos March 21st, 2006 07:41 AM

Rob you are the man!

I heard magic bullet can do it too.
But I'll have a look at this one pronto!

I bet you there are hundreds more questions like these, lets make them appropriate and ask Chris for a forum.

James OClaire May 18th, 2006 11:51 AM

I'd love to have a effects forum! That'd be awesome.

FYI: I'm new, but if I had had a problem with effects I wouldn't have known that I could post it on this site, I just wouldn't have been sure it would really be on topic...

Mike Toledano May 18th, 2006 12:32 PM

It's a great idea. I've had questions to ask about after effects that I never knew where to ask.

Wes Coughlin May 18th, 2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Jemero:
Usually Chris starts a forum when there is sufficient traffic to warrant one
(ie, enough topics on the subject) so we don't have empty forums.

dvxuser after effects form is always full; great good idea to start one.

Jesse Redman June 20th, 2006 01:27 PM

I'm for starting a compositing/3D/DVFX forum.

John Kang June 20th, 2006 05:45 PM

I also vote for a new effects forum.

After Effects being the most popular, it seems, but all the other flavs on a sub-forum would be great as well.

I mean, I tried looking at some of the After Effects tutorial books, and I just go blank. Most of it is written for people who already know how to use it, it seems.

Meryem Ersoz June 20th, 2006 08:43 PM

excellent suggestion....i could sure use a forum like this...adobe manuals are the worst. supplemental training is essential, not optional....

Mathieu Ghekiere June 21st, 2006 04:52 AM

I agree too, would be wonderful!
Don't know much about special fx, but it would be great if I could turn to this place to for questions.

K. Forman June 21st, 2006 05:52 AM

The problem I have with this subject, is that 99.9% of the people are using FCP or AE for compositing. I am in the .01% that don't have either, and end up using Photoshop, or whatever free program I can find.

Now, if you would be willing to use the proposed forum to find and use low budget alternatives in addition to how to use them, I'm for it!