DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   After Effects 6.5 and After Effects 7.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/70204-after-effects-6-5-after-effects-7-0-a.html)

Clint Grant June 25th, 2006 10:04 AM

After Effects 6.5 and After Effects 7.0

Hey there everybody,

I've looked around on a lot of websites, and I've got a pretty clear idea of what changes are in After Effects 7.0 in comparison to 6.5. However, nothing beats asking the people who use it! So, my question is: what is the greatest improvement in 7.0 compared to 6.5? Are the two really that much different (is it worth getting the newer version)? What effect does 7.0 have that 6.5 doesn't have which you could not live without?

I'm just really curious about this, and want to find out what you feel about the new version. Thanks again,

~Clint Grant~

Pete Bauer June 25th, 2006 11:20 AM

I personally feel that all of the Production Studio (the "CS2" apps, with includes AE7) software applications are a worthwhile improvement from Video Collection (CS), and I also believe that if one is going to invest money in software, it is generally worth getting the current version, not an old one. The much publicized new features, the integration across the suite, and although some people pooh-pooh it, the new, more consistent interface all make a big difference for me.

Since I see from your other thread that you're also looking at PPro, I'd recommend not buying the apps separately but just springing for the Production Studio Pro. There's such an incredible depth of capability in that whole, pretty well integrated package for not much more than the price of two apps separately, that few of us do more than scratch the surface of what the software can really do.

Clint Grant June 25th, 2006 12:10 PM

Thank you. I figured it would be better to simply purchase both applications at once.

Henry Cho June 25th, 2006 01:10 PM

since after effects version 4, the UI has been more or less exactly the same. to me, this was a good thing as there was little to re-learn about the interface with each upgrade. plus i tend to get a little picky on how my panel layout is set up before i dive in. my biggest surprise when i installed 7 was how much the UI and panel behaviors changed. it takes a little bit getting used to, but once it's set up to your preference, it's pretty sweet and lends itself to better organization as you work (multiple comps in the preview window -- hallelujah). i also love how you can change the UI color scheme to something darker (or lighter, if you prefer).

the biggest improvement, for me, is the new big graph editor. i couldn't stand working with those little bezier handles in the timeline.

getting the new adobe video collection, as pete suggested, is a good idea if you can swing it. the collection includes some integration tools between apps that aren't available if you purchase each app separately. plus audition (formlerly cool edit pro before adobe bought it) is a pretty solid multitrack/sound editor.

Frank Hool June 25th, 2006 05:21 PM

ui

i had big project in ae 6.5 and had to change to 7 during developing a project. Improvements in UI were over the top. But ae 7.0 was remarkably faster than ae 6.5.

Clint Grant June 25th, 2006 06:07 PM

Thanks for letting me know how you feel about A.E. 7, it really helps me out!

~Clint Grant~

Steven Gotz June 25th, 2006 07:43 PM

The main reason I suggest the Production Studio is that the Dynamic Link between After Effects and Premiere Pro only comes with the Production Studio or Video Bundle (includes Flash 8).

The interaction between the apps allows me to work in AE and then put the comp in Premiere Pro without exporting anything first.