old movie filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

old movie filter

I have just upgraded to FCP studio 5. Is there a old movie filter that comes with 5? I need for a job on working on. I know imovie has one. Could someone help.

Thanks, Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Nattress film effects is very good, & only $100. nattress.com
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Arnie, l will check them out

Ron
Old July 10th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

the nattress one is great. if you like the imovie effect, you could always apply it to your clip and import it into FCP. doesn't cost anything that way (but the nattress set is a steal at the price, it's just an idea....)
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks Meryem,

If l use imovie to do old movie filter. Should l bring clips into imovie and add filter before l edit in FCP. Or can l do all the edits in FCP and then bring into imovie to add filter and cut to DVD in imovie?
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Wrangler

hm, good question. i usually add the filter in imovie, then output at full quality (.dv) from imovie and import into FCP (or, in my case, livetype...i have been liking imovie 6's "watercolor" and "bloom" effects for animated sequences)....

you will need to render the imovie sequence in FCP, so be sure that you add a copy to your scratch drive...

i suppose you could do it the other way you suggested as well, but i think that outputting to quicktime in FCP implies more compression than imovie's full quality .dv option....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks much!
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

if you export with QT conversion and then when the screen comes up to save your export settings if you click on the options button......normally what people use are the varous settings to change the file type( the size the data rate stuff like that) well there is also a filters button and there is a old film look within the Special effects flip down where you get the "hairs and various scratches" it looks alright but its atleast another option for you.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Major Player

You could also send the clip off the timeline over to Motion and use the free "Aged Film" layer preset from MotionSmarts to apply an old film look:
http://www.motionsmarts.com/downloads.html
(link for "aged film" is at the bottome of the page)

You can enhance this effect a bit futher by adding a subtle (possibly shaky) vinette mask too.

FCP uses the Motion project as a new source clip in place of the original, so there's no quality loss (beyond the effects of "old film") or re-rendering.
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Nick, never though about Motion to do this. Just got it and haven’t used it yet.
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Nick I've just played around with it, and wow! for a free filter it kicks ass,
it's got that pre WW1 look to it, do you know who wrote that filter up? I tried to modify it to look like an 8mm home video from the retro era but had mixed results, I tried filters such as glow, bloom, colour correct.

Do you know if they are in the process of making an 8mm filter?
Old July 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #12
Major Player

Sorry. I haven't really needed to use this effect in much of my own work (for the one film I worked on that needed this look, the director just went out and got an 8mm camera to shoot on :p) so I haven't been watching or researching this area much.

Seems that 8mm is often characterized by selectively desaturated colors rather than being purely B&W.
I haven't really studied them, but my impression is that the blues in old 8mm film tend to fade to white and gray, but greens and reds hold on better ... even though the tend to look more desaturated too.

With this info, you could probably use Shake, or a combination of filters in motion (there's a pretty cool and inexpensive shake-like add-on for Motion called Conduit from dvGarage, BTW: http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=conduit) to effectively simulate old 8mm film.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects