Dreamlike Effect of movie "MirrorMask" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Dreamlike Effect of movie "MirrorMask"

I recently viewed a movie called Mirrormask and was wondering if anyone was familiar with how they achieved the "dreamlike effect" of the film? Would something like it be possible in either AE or Shake?

While researching an answer for this question I found this hilarious comment from the creator.

"The film was a technical challenge for all involved."When Dave finished the blue screen shooting, he showed the footage to the animation team, and at the end of it they went away and grouped in a huddle. After a while, one of them came back and asked how many special effects shots there are in the film, and Dave responded that there's only one, but it lasts eighty minutes".
James Conaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:43 AM   #2
New Boot

ADMIN...

Please move this post to: Film Look Methods & Techniques

I didnt see that forum until now.
James Conaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe mirror mask used some sort of digital vinette around the edges of the frame, then added a slight flicker to create its effect.

It's something, like most stuff, that can absolutely be created in after effects and shake -- the real question is do you yourself have the ability to use the tools to your satisfaction?

Can anybody give some formula for this?

-- Dean
Dean Bull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects