So, How the heck are they doing this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

So, How the heck are they doing this?

i've been a big fan of mk12 for years, and have always wondered how they make that ink-like or ribbon-like lines "draw" on-screen. they also do a great "onscreen draw" with letters and words. i can't imagine this is all done by hand (masking?). is this a great plug-in(s)?

http://media2.mk12.com/mk12_version_five.html

good examples in the 2006 reel, but particularly in the "Ultralove Ninja" piece, 2002 on the right...the way things "grow"...
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Major Player

yeah, mk12 are the sh*t. they're obviously very able motion graphic designers with good 3d and cg skills. i used to try to take a look at everything they put out but forgot about them recently. thanks for the link.

a lot of their ribbon-type work is done in 3d, which app i couldn't tell you. i've done similar types of effects by exporting complex paths from illustrator, bringing them into 3ds max, and using a path deform for a 3d object on the illustrator path.

some of the more angular looks could be achieved by animating the text reveals in a 2d app, exporting the video, and mapping onto a 3d surface comprised of boxes, and rendering the final video out from the 3d app. any compositing app with native 3d space, like after effects or combustion, should be able to do some similar effects as well.

regarding the ultralove ninja piece, it seems to be layer on layer of 2d and 3d image sequences converted to emulate watercolor. i'm not sure what they used for the watercolor conversion ... probably a combination of a filters/plugins, with some heavy manual tweaking. my guess is the growth effects are done by hand frame-by-frame, or they used images generated from a 3d app.

one final note, generating animated masks for 40 individual layers and doing a frame-by-frame animation may sound daunting, but once you get in a groove, it's not so bad. and the effort will show ... as opposed to using a canned look from a plugin.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

those flying 3d ribbons can be done with after effects.. but for the life of me, i cannot remember the bloody name of it.. twixtor maybe??? GAWD!!!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

A lot of the effect can be done in 2d, and probably can be reiterated over 3d layers in AE. I haven't seen much of the mk12 guys' stuff, but I found this tutorial a while back that's a very simplified 2d version of the "growing" effect.

http://www.creativecow.net/show.php?...ing/index.html
Will Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Will,

Thanks for the link. This one's a keeper.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Oh my, that's good. Thanks Will.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

great link! thanks for posting that. the 2D, i'm ok with, but the 3D at this point, is out of my relm.

thanks for the responses guys!

eric
Eric Kome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects