Photoshop Automation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Photoshop Automation

Hi Everyone,

Another question for the Photoshop gurus! How can I make an action/script/etc. that merges two images (seperate files) together?

For example:

Something that automatically copies Photo_Top_001.png on top of Photo_Bottom_001.png and creates Photo_Complete_001.png, then Photo_Top_002.png on top of Photo_Bottom_002.png to create Photo_Complete_002.png, etc, etc.

As far as I can tell the actions "open" feature can only grab exact file names. I really need something that can grabs the file with the next sequential number.

I have access to PS7 (PC), CS (Mac) and CS2 (PC).

I haven't used CS2 much, but I know it does have a script feature. Could I use this to achieve the desired result?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #2
Major Player

You're right PS actions can work only with exact file names. But this problem can be solved as automated in AE. Both of Your picture groups(top/bottom) can be handled as sequencies. AE is familiar with picture sequncies. As far AE is pretty much PS in timeline w/o printout extensions You can do pretty sophisticated merge there.

Another pretty nasty option is to convert both picture streams to filmstrip and merge them despite of everything in PS.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Frank!

Yes, I'm aware that you can do this kind of thing in After Effects or Shake. However, I just wanted to see if its possible using ONLY Photoshop (long story). I think it is in CS2 using scripting. Haven't had the time to play with it yet.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects