After Effects and video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

After Effects and video

I'm new to After Effects and very naive to what After Effects has to offer. I currently edit short films using AVID Xpress Pro.

My question is:
Can someone explain to me or point me in a direction to see examples of how/what After Effects can add/do regarding actual video production?

This is a very crude and general question. SORRY

But just would like to know what After Effects could add to my video production.

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Major Player

AE is basic 3d manipulation of 2d objects in a key-frameable space that allows for creativity way beyond any NLE. You won't build and manipulate 3d objects, but for text effects, animating an illustrator or Photoshop composition and matte work, this program is worth the time to learn.

Much deeper control over masks, mattes and the different elements of effects like lighting, environments (smoke, lightning, fog) and motion control.

This program requires a learning aid. Do not attempt without a good reference book.

Last edited by Jimmy McKenzie; September 25th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Any suggestion on a good reference book with video in mind?
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Total Training:

http://store.adobe.com/store/product...fects7Advanced
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Trustee

Get Chris & Trish Meyer's books.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Ditto to Emre, Trish and Chris Meyer's "Creating Motion Graphics" books are a great way to learn After Effects, arguably one of the best text books written for After Effects. Be advised that currently (unless this just changed) they offer two texts, and they are based on After Effects 6.5.

For an instant idea of what After Effects can do, go try Andrew Kramer's www.videocopilot.net, click on the products link, and then click on the "Serious Effects and Compositing" and watch the little movie that comes up. That will give you a really good idea of just a few of the things that After Effects can accomplish.

After Effects 7 Pro is really raising the bar for post production graphics. There are some simple things that people aren't aware of. For instance, you can use the "Spherize" preset on a flat, 2D image of earth, to create a totally convincing 3D earth that rotates, has shadow, etc. You can even add a cloud layer. Its how Steam created the planet earth you see for Discovery Channel.

If you start getting into After Effects, you probably really fall in love with it. Just one word of warning. While it is a deep program, and yet not all that tough to learn, a lot of tutorials out there start with preping something in Photoshop, so if you are, like me, not a Photoshop user, you might find it a little frustrating.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Get Chris & Trish Meyer's books.
Ditto seconded !!

Yes, the books currently in print are based on 6.5, but 99% of what's covered still holds true .... once you find your way around AE's new UI.
The other major enhancement in AE 7 is linear processing, which generally effects film work more than video.

BTW: The manual and tutorials that come with AE aren't a terrible place to start either.

Don't forget to ask lots of questions here at dvInfo, too. :D

Have fun.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:59 AM   #8
New Boot

To show you a peak of what After Effects can do watch Rubber Johnny.

That film led me to this simple lesson on lasers which was the very time I used After Effects.
Even though it was written for AE 5.5 it still holds up for AE7.

Blasters, Using the Beam Effect.
http://www.durbnpoisn.com/films/BeamTut/index.asp

Original Version.
Flying Tie Fighter.

My Version [2005]
Tie Fighter Blasting Rebel Scum.

Get you trained
After Effects 7 Pro Essentials otherwise have some fun with a gun, some bombs and a time machine.
Liam Dunlop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects