Simple masking question in AE7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Simple masking question in AE7

Hi all,

Take a look at this pic

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/7905/masking1rh2.jpg

And then this one.

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/8702/masking2hc8.jpg

I put a mask over a solid object, I then applied a "substract" mode to the mask so that the blue color (which is a second layer below with a blue color applied to it) shows through. Problem is that if I rotate that mask there is a blue outline visible, as seen in pic 1. If there is no rotation the blue outline disappear, as seen in pic 2.

Any way to get around this issue rotation issue.

Thanks
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Phil, is the blue layer just a solid color layer?
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes it is

Thanks Cal
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Sorry to take so long to get back to you Phil. I imagine you've already sorted out your problem. It's difficult to tell from the pictures what exactly is going on. It looks like the outline is of the layer itself, so without really knowing how you've got things set up, I was going to suggest you try just resizing the blue solid layer so that even when rotated, its larger than your composition. that way the edges of the solid that create the outline will not be visible as they are outside of the composition window.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Indeed you are right Cal, I move on but your answer could be applicable to other projects. I completely forgot about the fact that I could just resize the solid layer.

I a new at this and learn a lot with Total training just need more practice I guess.

Thanks for your time.

Phil
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey Phil, you might want to check out the "Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" books by Chris and Trish Meyer, probably the best singular resource for learning After Effects. Once you get used to After Effects, you'll probably find that there's lots of ways to go about solving the same problem. Good luck!
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects