Rectangular pixels ? Urgent help needed for Plasma presentation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rectangular pixels ? Urgent help needed for Plasma presentation

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the urgent post but I need to create a presentation to be shown on a SONY PFM321C1E (PLS8) 32" plasma and I am getting really confused about what resolution/pixel aspect I need to use.

The monitor has the following spec:

Panel Resolution 1024 x 852 pixels
Pixel pitch 0.84 x 0.39 mm
Active area (W/H) 715.68 x 399.36 mm
Color system NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL-M, PAL 60
Sampling rate 13.5 to 140 MHz

I am aiming to make a presentation to be run from a Windows PC using After Effects (Quicktime final output).

I sent a test of 1024x852 (square pixels) to the hire company and they said it had black bars to the left and right sides.

Can anybody suggest what resolution and pixel aspect I should use?

I assume that 1024x852 rectangular pixels is the way to go? Do I want to use the D1/DV PAL widescreen (1.42) or am I getting confused. Also am I better sticking to a standard PC resolution (i.e. 1024x768) seeing as this will be providing the RGB feed?????

I think I am also getting worried about the fact that the laptop providing the movie will probably be a 4:3 screen.

Panic panic panic

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to our Digital Compositing and Effects (since it involves After Effects).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Use any 16:9 format. I suggest just going with the preset ones - DV widescreen should be fine for most purposes.

Can you tell me what you're playing it with - quicktime player, or after effects, or something else? Also, what's the connection to the monitor: rgb, s-video, dvi...?
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #4
Trustee

1. the display device is not interpetting the signal correctly from the computer, there should be a menu setting to adjust on the display

2. the PC driving the display is not talking to it correctly - happens all the time. force the PC into the correct res, try again

3. rental co is techno-illiterate on the fine points, until you get them on the phone and persue the issue, then they usually come around and say" all I had to do was change this one setting....."

its either #1, #2, or both. don't panic... ever! ideally go to the rental co and set the thing up yourself going through all setting properly. or set up for 1280X720P 16:9 square pixels, thats what the display really wants, but is less PB overhead than a full 1920X1080 whose pixels aren't displayed anyways.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan
Can you tell me what you're playing it with - quicktime player, or after effects, or something else?
Quicktime was my plan as I have Quicktime Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan
Also, what's the connection to the monitor: rgb, s-video, dvi...?
Normal RGB 25pin D-sub
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley
1. the display device is not interpetting the signal correctly from the computer, there should be a menu setting to adjust on the display
In the past I have had to use the Zoom control to solve this - it does have some squashing effects though.

Quote:
2. the PC driving the display is not talking to it correctly - happens all the time. force the PC into the correct res, try again
If the PC is a normal 4:3 (non widescreen) can it be 'forced' into a widescreen mode or do I need to choose the closest size overall. With Quicktime you can play the video full screen, I wonder if this uses the video size to determine the resolution or if it is still constrained by the PC set-up.

Would a widescreen laptop make a difference?

Quote:
3. rental co is techno-illiterate on the fine points, until you get them on the phone and persue the issue, then they usually come around and say" all I had to do was change this one setting....."
Very likely... The last company phoned me up half way through an exhibition with the 'brain wave' of setting the PC to 800x600 which made b*gg*r all difference. What was particularly annoying was that I had sent them a test resolution video in advance that they said looked perfect... I woudl pop in but they are 300 miles away...

Quote:
its either #1, #2, or both. don't panic... ever! ideally go to the rental co and set the thing up yourself going through all setting properly. or set up for 1280X720P 16:9 square pixels, thats what the display really wants, but is less PB overhead than a full 1920X1080 whose pixels aren't displayed anyways.
OK thanks for this. I will go for this idea and if it dosen't fit then I guess Zoom will be the only option.

Many thanks for all your ideas I appreciate the help.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

One more thought.

If the spec says 0.84 x 0.39 pixel pitch is it true I need square pixels?

This seems very unsquare to me or is it not related?
Alex Wren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects