Do you charge for rendering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old December 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you charge for rendering?

i made a video for a client with multiply effects and layers and everything that would take the comp to render. so it took 6 hours to render and that meant 6 hours of me not able to use my computer.

my question is does anyone charge for rendering? and if so at what rate and how does the client know this? is there anyway to prove this?

Thanks for you time and if you have any questions just ask. thanks again!
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That's why we have evening and sleeping time! :)
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
That's why we have evening and sleeping time! :)
yeah good point. i render overnight and i also render during the day. do you think its a bad idea to charge? i havent done yet.
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have no problem charging for rendering time, just do it at a lesser rate. It has been posted here before.
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Perfectly reasonable to charge for rendering time. Your computer is on during render and has wear and tear just like any other piece of equipment. Hard drives DO wear and break down with use.

Esp. OK if one has to have a second (or third, or fourth, or cluster) to render so that another machine is free for editing or related work.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I have no problem charging for rendering time, just do it at a lesser rate. It has been posted here before.
how much of a lesser rate? 25% less?
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Trustee

generally not. thats why you have more than one machine, work on one, render on the other. these days though, with multi CPU machines, some apps will let you either
1. turn off multi-proc rendering and just use one proc, you work with the other procs in the FG app while the other renders in the background. AE works well like this. I run two copies of AE on the same machine, render in one, work in the other and you barely notice the speed difference.

2. directly manage how many CPU's are used .

3. learn to optimize your renders

or you just use another machine or learn to manage your render times better including doing whatever you can to make the renders themselves faster by pre-rendering where ever possible. I took some one's pig AE proc that took 4+ hrs to render, pre-rendered a couple of layers that were "done", not to be changed, and where the cause of the long renders. using the pre-rendered movs instead brought the new total render time done to 40 minutes.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for that steve. im working on one machine with one proc at the min and hoping to upgrade as soon as possible. also im hoping to make the move to mac i think. its on the cards but i'll have t see.

Also thanks for the tips and about pre renders. ive never tried them before and will give them a go as soon as i have the chance. i just rendered a 1 min 3d space sequence and it came to a total of 9hrs 47min.

also what do you think of the spec of my machine? i know it could be better and im upgrading to 2gb of ram in about 3 weeks.

dell 5150 dimension
1gb ram
x700 ATI graphics card

that the important stuff really. but anything for a new computer really. just one more question. how do you run AE twice? i take it is the same Hdd and Os? thanks!
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley
generally not. thats why you have more than one machine, work on one, render on the other. these days though, with multi CPU machines, some apps will let you either
1. turn off multi-proc rendering and just use one proc, you work with the other procs in the FG app while the other renders in the background. AE works well like this. I run two copies of AE on the same machine, render in one, work in the other and you barely notice the speed difference.

2. directly manage how many CPU's are used .

3. learn to optimize your renders

or you just use another machine or learn to manage your render times better including doing whatever you can to make the renders themselves faster by pre-rendering where ever possible. I took some one's pig AE proc that took 4+ hrs to render, pre-rendered a couple of layers that were "done", not to be changed, and where the cause of the long renders. using the pre-rendered movs instead brought the new total render time done to 40 minutes.

Steve Oakley
Steve, I would suggest that if you have two machines so that you can dedicate one to rendering, than you absolutely should be charging for it. How else does the render machine pay for itself? As menitioned in an earlier post, there is a finite life to any piece of hardware and rendering tends to tax the system pretty well so temperatures are up, drives are spinning and your gear is depreciating. Our company charges for rendering time but at about half the rate for editing since it is happening without any required operator interface.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Also how would and do you prove rendering if asked by a client? what would you do? thanks.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Major Player

Liam, I've never had to "prove" rendering. Nor have I had to prove editing hours. I would hope that the relationship with the client would be trusting enough that you didn't have to prove how many hours you spent on each task involved. If a client really questioned it, I guess I'd just set it up to render again and let him sit there for 9 hrs watching the clock! Of course, he'd have to pay for the second render too!!
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

thanks for that Rob. ive never mentioned the render before. and also it should be fine with my clients. and let them sit for 9 hours. that would be pretty funny!

Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects