Video glitch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Video glitch

Anyone know of a way to create a video glitch like as if a videotape malfunctioned or when you tape over something? I saw some stuff while watching CBS footabell coverage but I'm a graphics novice, mostly just an editor that has learned how to work with AE and Motion just through each circumstance of needing something small accomplished. Also plugins would be an option to buy but they must be top notch & fairly inexpensive. It seems that if i could just get a still or two to distort and look "glitched" wave through a piece of video or a still. Any Ideas would help.
Neil Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Why not create it the way you describe?

Take some video footage and, on tape, record over it to create the glitch - then capture it.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
New Boot

cool

Interesting idea there, sometimes simplest is overlooked. The problem is I think exaggerated is the key when it comes to these things. The client actually mentioned "wobble" & "freeze" which is really more of a bad reception through rabbit ear'd television than a "taped over" glitch, but they asked for it. This is good though, maybe i could even try to damage the tape slightly to get a really emphasized effect, but then I would have to do it carefully so as not to mess up my deck....may not be a risk worth taking. I'll just tape over it several times or something. Thanks for the idea!
Neil Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Neil

From the original timeline, zoom in to see individual frames. Razor a few frames and then apply some colour correction to just those frames, to simulate the effect. You could apply blurs, inverse colour - almost anything to create a 'glitch'. You could also export those frames to something like Photoshop and attack them there, before bringing them back in to your editor and overlaying the original frames....... Hope this is of some help, in addition to advice already given. Good Luck. Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects