Chroma Keying software for OSX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Chroma Keying software for OSX

Hi:
I am searching for a high quality chroma keying software program for a Mac G5 running OSX 10.4 with the ease of use similar to that touted for the Windows based Ultra 2 program. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Final Cut Pro is a great editing app and has some pretty good chroma keying plugins included. Adobe After Effects is another good one, although it is for special effects only, not a full video editing app.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chroma keying

Hi:

Thank you for your reponse.
I am already using FCP 5.1.4 but I am in search of something a tad more user friendly in terms of the required lighting and preparatory setup. The Chromaflex system looks interesting and does not seem to require a prefectly lit green screen as FCP appears to require. On the other hand, Ultra 2, although a windows based program, is touted by its developer and several reviewers as being quite forgiving when it comes to lighting and the nature of the green screen. Since Ultra does accept QT files it isn't entirely out of the question but I would like to avoid having to transport the files back and forth between my G5 and PC and therein lies my quest.

Thank you once again, however.
Ron
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It's not necessarily "user friendly" in the sense that you really have to get into it and learn the software, but once you do, Shake is incredibly powerful. In fact, for a lot of things, I find it really easy. I doubt you will find another program capable of pulling keys as well as Shake for the price...
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Chroma keying

Hi Tim:

Thank you for your input.

Oddly enough, I came to the same conclusion and just finished installing Shake 4.1 on my G5 dual.

Thanks again,
Ron
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Wilk View Post
Hi:
I am searching for a high quality chroma keying software program for a Mac G5 running OSX 10.4 with the ease of use similar to that touted for the Windows based Ultra 2 program. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
The best chroma keyer is DV MATTE for after effects, one click and it's perfect. You don't have to deal with "tolerance" and "edge detection" -They make it for Motion too.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Trustee

http://www.oakstreetsoftware.com/gkey/

nice simple keyer that's put in as a quicktime plugin, so available in any quicktime program :)
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Check out Conduit (Shake-ish plugin for FCP) and dvMattePro from dvGarage.
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Chroma Keyer

Hi:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

At the present time I am trying to sink my teeth into Shake 4.1 and depending upon my success or lack thereof, I will consider several of the proposed options. In addition, since I am awaiting the actual release and arrival of FCP Studio 6 (an upgrade to my current 5.1.4) it might make sense to make certain that the dvgarage options will remain workable in that environment.

Ron
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Shake can DEFINITELY handle the job, but it's not typically a short learning curve. Feel free to ask Shake questions on this board if you need help or tips along the way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects