Adobe After Effects Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 6th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Adobe After Effects Question

Okay this may sound like a stupid question, but first of all...what is it? Secondly, what do I use it for? Thirdly, how do I use it? Lastly, Why should I use it?
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Major Player

The best explanation: Photoshop for video.

You can use it for motion graphics (company IDs, crazy credits, etc), basic 3D stuff and most importantly, compositing and rotoscoping. It's incredibly powerful! The interface is pretty much like Photoshop and a generic NLE ran at each other really fast ;)

I found it fairly easy to pick up, if you're used to PS and NLEs you shouldn't have a problem.

If you're doing any greenscreen work or want to add 3D elements into your work, use it. I can't describe everything you can do with it, but if you use it a few times you'll realize how much potential it has.
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok. I'm familiar with PS and Premiere and these two programs I picked up how to do things rather quickly, but AE has gotten me baffled. So do I have to export clips and PSD's in order to create a composition or do I create the objects in AE itself?
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Garret I suggest you pick up one of the Creating Motion Graphics books by the Meyers (not sure that's how they spell their last name -- I'll check later). They have examples and projects that you work through. Amazon carries them, and there's a new couple of volumes that have come out in the last few months addressing the latest version 5.5 of the program.

AE is one of the best pieces of software out there, but it takes some playing around to get used to it.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Stuart, BTW, Lawyers are people, albeit babies! :) I work as a systems engineer for a law firm...hehehe.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #6
Wrangler

Yeah I'm well versed at Photoshop and Premiere but found AE5 a bit confusing. I did, however, pick up the training cds over at Lynda.com and am going thru them now. Downside is the one narrator , Bruce Haven, sounds like the teacher on South Park- Mmmmmm- K lol

I've seen some very artsy looking footage done via compositions in AE and they look incredible. I'm wondering about the actual workflow. Say if I'm working in a project in Premiere and there is a section of edited footage I want to edit in AE...do I have to output it as DV AVI to then import it into AE. I wish AE worked THRU the Premiere interface and that you could set the work area to be the area exported into AE without re-encoding.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I was playing with AE last night and I was able to import a PSD (yay) but how the heck do you create the key frames in the Windows version. Most of the tutorials I've read online are for the Mac. I did it accidentally, but I would like to learn how to intentionally do it.
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

read this book

As the gentleman said above

"Garret I suggest you pick up one of the Creating Motion Graphics books by the CHRIS Meyers"

You'll be flying afterwards!!
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I wish AE worked THRU the Premiere interface and that you could set the work area to be the area exported into AE without re-encoding
Apparently, the upcoming versions of Premiere and AE do just that. They use metadata (whatever the heck that is) to seamlessly share projects. Or so the NAB reports say anyhow!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects