Exporting text made in AE to Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old June 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Exporting text made in AE to Vegas

Hi all,

Here is something I haven't tackled with in either program. The text engine in AE offers so much more compare to Vegas that today I decided to create my texts in AE and export it.

Problem is I export the background color as well. I tried a black background color but when I import it into vegas I need to set it's track to "add". In the process I lose the drop shadow and the outline around the letters.

Is there anyway that I could create a text in AE with only a transparent background. I tried exporting using all sorts of settings, premultiplied, alpha only etc...

None of them worked, I always end up losing the drop shadow applied to the text and the black outline is replace by a white one.

Thanks guys

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

In After Effects, make sure you export the text with an alpha channel, with "straight" alpha. The animation codec should support an alpha channel.

In Vegas, make sure the clip is interpreted to have "straight" alpha/transparency. Look in the properties in the clip, go into the second tab, and find the straight option. You can copy and paste event attributes to copy this to other titles.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Glenn,

Nope, still no good results, I still have to set the track to "add" and I still lose the drop shadow and the outline, they both turn to white.

My background colour was white in AE.

I export from AE in DV uncompressed at 29.97 fps, a very common format. I also used QT with Mpeg4 full quality, still the same thing. I did notice that the DV adds a tiny grey tint so I will stick to the QT in mpeg-4.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Phil

In your AE project click on the transparency icon, the one to the left of Active Camera, you should be able to see the transparency "checkerboard".

When you render fro AE select under the output module select "Lossless with alpha". then render. When you bring the file into Vegas you may need to right click, select properties, advanced, and at the bottom select Premultiplied and then set the color to white.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Jim,

Thanks for thanks for your answer, now after trying what you suggested the problem is half solved, sort of...

The drop shadow and the outline finally stays through the process but now I have this white background I can't get rid of even after trying several compositing modes for the track.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but in my mind this is so simple, creating the simplest text animation in AE and exporting it Vegas, why then is it so damn complicated....

Anything else,

Thanks guys
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Ok, you have it in a Veags timeline. Right click on the event, select the media tab, go down to the bottom and select premultiplied from the alpha channel drop down box. Change the color to white and hit OK, or close or whatever. You do not need to select any kind of compositing mode.

Be sure to have another event underneath that clip so you can see.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Major Player

HI Jim,

I've already tried what you explained last but the solution was lying elsewhere.

Here is a step by step explanation

When exporting text to use as event in another here is how I now do it.

1: Use Quicktime with ---Animation--- codec , full quality
2: Set channels to : RGB + Alpha
3: Set Colors to: "Straight (unmatted)

Render

After importing (for this example I will use Vegas as a reference)

1: Right click on the event and go on properties
2: Go into the "media" tab
3: Set the "Alpha Channel" to "Straight"

That did it for me, the text appears just as if I would've created it in Vegas.

Thanks for all the pointers guys

Cheers

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects