How do I create an Angel in Affter Effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I create an Angel in Affter Effects

In my shot I have a guy standing in a field holding a water bottle. In the background I have a girl walking up behind him. The girl is an angel that gives the guy advise in the next shot.

I need the girl to be overexposed and glow. I know how to do this in Photoshop(that is what I did my example with) but I'm stumped on how to go about this in After Effects.

I have included two pictures. One is a frame grab and the other is how I would like the Angel to look. I created this look in Photoshop by cutting out the girl, and adjusting the exposure by 1, and the exposure offset to 0.050, and moving the exposure gamma to 0.75. This gave me the blown out highlights I was looking for. Then I added an outer glow of 75px, a spead of 10% and shrunk it's range so that the glow was never at 100% opacity right next to her. I also had to add an inner glow of 15px to remove the blunt edge of the outer glow.

I also had to cut out the guys arm, so that the glow didn't wrap around him. The girl is about 15ft. behind him.

So can anyone give me a step by step on how to do this in Affter Effects?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmm... no pictures. *click,click,click,click* *WACK* *THX music plays* Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I create an Angel in Affter Effects-angel.jpg   How do I create an Angel in Affter Effects-angel_final.jpg  

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well I think I figured it out on my own. Here's a frame grab after I did a little bit of fiddling around in After Effects. I think I blew out white a little to much. I'll have back that off a tad.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I create an Angel in Affter Effects-angle_in_after_effects.jpg  
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Now that you have it blown out, attempt to work with levels to create a track matte that can be used for the alpha channel. Get the white to white and everything else to black. Probably with the help of a loose mask. Once you have that matte of the girl made out of a copy, you can go back to the copy of the clip under that matte and make it only slightly lighter, or use a glow on the edges of the alpha channel, or possibly even change the saturation of the colors of the girl.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Major Player

I'd love to see an actual quick clip of this. I've been trying to figure this out myself. Are you going to have wings? If so, how?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm currently in the middle of building a website so I haven't had time to get anything more done yet, but as soon as I finish a shot I'll put it up. I wasn't going to add any wings, just because they don't fit the shot for the way I want it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects