Sony GV-HD700 HDV video Walkman gets US release date and price - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Aren't you nervous about hard drive failures? And do you have a laptop on the set to do the transfer to HD?

I'm thinking about "run and gun" situations where portability would be key. Can't really lug around a laptop or stop and transfer.

I like hard drive storage too, but I've has a few drives get flaky on me, and I don't think I'd trust them for long-term storage of anything important.
Sorry to take so long to get back to your question, Brian. Yes, HDD's are a risk, but so are optic media! I've had DVD backups go bad when the glue holding them let go...

There certainly is no "ideal" solution, but since we plan to duplicate these latest productions in both DVD and whatever HD optic solutions appear (HD-DVD and Bluray both seem very temporary/intermediate formats to me) they seem to be a good choice for now.

As HDD's get cheaper and cheaper, duplicate backups are wise as always. 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives are under $120 as of yesterday and the 1TB are only a little more than double the cost. That's a lot of storage space even for "full" HD and 2K/4K! And some of the other drives are very durable as well. Nothing today is very permanent, but at least the HDD "solution" helps make it fast and easy to duplicate that info to any new thing that comes along.

As to run 'n gun, tape and flash seem to be the only real options (unless you have a custom portable solution converting on the fly to CF on HDD... that's why I started the "RIO project" and a friend built one for us. It's definitely a working, real-life, right-now solution, though a bit bigger than what CF is wanting to put together). Hopefully a small, light and flexible system will soon exist to allow us to do HD with in long formats.

Irregardless, we'll still need something to transport, edit and store that HD video and I guess that's why we are using HDDs. If flash drives were cheap, we'd use those instead!

Last edited by Stephen Armour; December 4th, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #32
Regular Crew

In a Perfect world

In a perfect world this unit would have a Expresscard/34 interface instead of a memory stick slot. Then it would really take off. I used to use the minidv version as a capture and record deck in my office. if it had a way to injest both fomats you could have a A B setup and the editor would not have any problems getting the two formats into the NLE no matter where they are or what the hardware set up is.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
24F or 30F from a Canon XH or XL -- no it cannot. That's known as Frame mode and this deck is not compatible with Canon's Frame mode.

24P from a Canon HV10 or HV20 -- yes it can. Since that video is recorded in a standard 60i stream, compatibility is not a problem.
so I cannot use it on an XHA1 but it would work to record and view a tape from the hv20,

I understand it cannot play 24f what about recording a 60i stream from the xha1 through the firewire? is that a possible or it just wont work at all?
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Klidonas View Post
what about recording a 60i stream from the xha1 through the firewire?
Of course it is compatible with 60i from a Canon XL or XH series camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Of course it is compatible with 60i from a Canon XL or XH series camcorder.
I think I asked that in a bad way, what I meant to say if on the xha1 I was shooting 24f could that be output and captured into the device through firewire only in a 60i stream like the hv20 does? Not that I would want that per se, but it would be better than getting no back up at all, I am am guessing that some software could likely remove the 24 frames from the 60i stream.
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Does this work with the jvc HDV (i.e. Gy-HD110u)?

It looks like a discontinued JVC product, elusive little bugger, cant even find its model though I know Ive seen it....
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner View Post
can use my old sony batts., use and store/ carry it in a hard case ($ 20 from lowes) will take a pic of the set up, so you can see.
Karl, any luck with some pic's? I'd be interested to see how you're using it.

Cheers.
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Mentzer View Post
It looks like a discontinued JVC product, elusive little bugger, cant even find its model though I know Ive seen it....
CU-VH1US-P

It took Sony a long time to finally release there own version and you know the old saying:
Better late than never.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell View Post
Karl, any luck with some pic's? I'd be interested to see how you're using it.

Cheers.
hello andrew,

ops, i am sorry....

i am leaving the walkman while recording in the hard case, in front/ left of me. remember i am using it for sports sitting on bleachers. tripod in front of me.

here they are.

$ 19 hardcase from lowes

layout

top left 2 batt. tapes
next to it all cables sony walkman

2 filter cases
hc 7 camcorder

http://www.msnusers.com/sonywalkman/_homepage.msnw
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Sony GV-HD700 is now $1,079.95 at BH and also here is the link for the manual in pdf format:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...00&region_id=1

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #41
Regular Crew

I haven't seen this mentioned yet: what is the rewind and ffw speed like on this walkman? I currently capture HDV from my XH A1, but the speed and firewire "delay" are so frustrating that I don't log clips anymore because it takes forever. I just "capture now" the entire tape and then sort it out in FCP. I would like a deck that will allow me to again log clips and then batch capture. I am pretty sure that sony's HDR-M15U deck is fast and efficient (like my DSR-11), but I am not sure if the GV-HD700 will be as fast. Any ideas?
Scott Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM   #42
Tourist

P2 and HDV

Just bought one of these decks and was going to use it as a back up from my P2 502 camera. Guess what, doesn't work. The only setting that will work is the lowest setting of the camera DV.
Michael Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #43
Major Player

Because your 502 is outputting dvcprohd out its firewire and the 700 is wanting hdv.. correct?
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Mentzer View Post
Does this work with the jvc HDV (i.e. Gy-HD110u)?
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but this little guy's been out for a while now, and I'm still interested in this question. Sony's notoriously mum about hidden features in some of their gear.

Has anyone tried to playback a 720p HDV tape recorded in a JVC HD-1xx camera in one of these Sony units? What happens? Will it output to firewire?
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Has anyone tried to playback a 720p HDV tape ...? What happens? Will it output to firewire?
No Firewire. Page 76. Component or composite only. Possibly HDMI.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News