New 720p Pocket cam $169. Aiptex A-HD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 24th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #31
Trustee

hey guys, would anybody like to take a crack on my question above?

Great clips indeed! Not HV20 quality but for 1/6th of the price it's great. I'm thinking of getting one of those. Just not sure if the GO-HD or this.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
hey guys, would anybody like to take a crack on my question above?

Great clips indeed! Not HV20 quality but for 1/6th of the price it's great. I'm thinking of getting one of those. Just not sure if the GO-HD or this.

Michael,

From what I understand it is the same chip.
The main differences are:
Go-Hd has optical zoom and AF
A-HD has digital zoom and fixed focus.
No LED lights on the A-HD
The battery life is better on the A-HD

I've see 2 clips demonstrating the zoom of both. The GO-Hd had a bit more reach when zoomed all the way in.

On the A-HD think they fixed some issues that were really a problem on the GO-HD. By looking at the clips I can see that the AF on the GO-HD is really poor and slow. It hunts too much initially and it gives a blurry look until it locks in. I don't expect instant AF but this one is just too slow.

My money is on the A-HD.
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #33
Trustee

The clips I've posted are from the Go-HD.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM   #34
Major Player

Can't get this thing out of my pocket.

I don't know what it is... I bought an A-HD and I seem to bring it everywhere. I own two other HD cameras but I find my self using this thing anywhere and everywhere... basically because I think its just fun and if you happen to drop it you won't be disappointed as much as one of your big cameras.

Here's a link to a video I shot of fall colors using the foootage from the Aiptek A-HD only. I didn't use the audio. To rough. Currently working on doing car mounts and motorcycle mounts with it. Considering buying two more just to get those extreme shots without the worry.

Here's the clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sGXhS6QXQ3g

RAW Video Samples at: www.skyhighsports.com/Aiptek/Aiptek.zip
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Hmmm those raw samples are actually fairly blocky don't you think? No post processing or conversion at all? It seems to have an awful lot of artifacting.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #36
Trustee

I hope you aren't judging by the YouTube examples as those are converted with heavy compression to SWF/SWV type for quick viewing.
I don't find it blocky at all, for the price it just can't be beat!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:59 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I was looking at the raw zip files that were posted.. they just looked really blocky to me which was why I was wondering if they were "raw" or had any kind of post processing or encoding?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #38
Regular Crew

yeah, they have a little bit of 'crunch', but i think its pretty manageable considering the versatility of the device.

seems like it might be an interesting project to tap video directly from the sensor (hint hint any soldering gurus out there.)
Jeffrey Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Maytum View Post
I was looking at the raw zip files that were posted.. they just looked really blocky to me which was why I was wondering if they were "raw" or had any kind of post processing or encoding?
The clips are directly from the camera. I agree that water and heavy detail with movement offer some artifacts. But if you were going to take this down to an SD-DVD it might not look so bad.
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #40
New Boot

I bought one and returned it the next day. Sound quality was absolutely terrible. Very distorted at even moderate levels. Video quality was OK. I did exchange it once for the same camera in case mine was faulty. Same issue.
Matt Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Zimmerman View Post
Currently working on doing car mounts and motorcycle mounts with it.
I tried out the REI ultraclamp (linked in one of my previous posts) on the handlebars of my motorcycle and it didn't work too well - the problem is the camera body is so light & flexible that the camera vibrates a lot if it's mounted via the tripod screw in the bottom. It doesn't help that I have a twin, and I'll try it again on a four but I'm not optimistic it'll help - the camera needs to be mounted via it's body or something.

The SD video quality is pretty good, and you can hook up an external video source, so this might serve better just as a recorder for a helmet/bullet cam too.
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #42
New Boot

I have both the GO HD and the A-HD. Both use the Ambarella A1 chipset:
http://www.ambarella.com
You can find a PDF on the A1 chipset here:
http://www.ambarella.com/technology/

Video is AVC1 and audio is AAC.

The GO HD encodes at 30fps flat whereas the A-HD encodes at 29.97 fps. This slight difference seemed to improve playback for many people. There were definite enhancements in encoding with the A-HD over the GO. On the GO panning would often be wavy whereas this is pretty much gone with the A-HD. Here is a clip that demonstrates panning on the A-HD. A similar clip done with the GO HD was very wavy.

On a PC I have been able to edit clips in Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 (a few clips did crash), Ulead's VideoStudio 11 Plus and Pinnacle Studio 11. In all cases to load the video properly and have them render properly I had to change the extension from .mov to .mp4. The only editor that could load the clips and render them properly with the .mov extension was Nero Vision 4.

Here is a short WMV clip that I edited with VS 11+:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MMQYX10M

For playback of the raw clips the latest QuickTime player works. By latest I mean the updates they sent out over the last month. Before then it didn't handle the clips very well at all. On Linux MPlayer with the -framedrop switch works.

The clips have a lot of B-Frames in them which is probably why they aren't so compatible with many players but OTOH some many of the other MPEG-4 cameras are just using mpv4 codec instead of AVC1 which may also be the source of the problem. Some people also got results installing the K-Lite codec though it and QT can't coexist.
Brian Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #43
Tourist

Greetings. I bought an A-HD few weeks ago at Circuit City and it's great so far. Can't go wrong only paying $150. It's cool since it's a beat up cam. I have no problem handing this off to kids or friends to mess around with. With no moving parts, I don't have to worry so much about it breaking and if it does break, I'll just get another one. I previously had the Aiptek MPVR I bought for $80 and used it when going fishing. The A-HD is a nice upgrade.
One thing that's cool about it using h.264 files is that I can plug the A-HD directly into a Xbox 360. It thinks the cam is just a USB storage device/camera and will play the raw h.264 files directly in full 720p.

Here are some blog posts I wrote about the A-HD:
http://rodfathermobile.com/2007/09/1...der-unleashed/

http://rodfathermobile.com/2007/09/2...-outdoor-test/
(Disregard the footage. Used Sony Vegas' mainconcept AVC codec and the results ended up bad)

http://rodfathermobile.com/2007/09/2...sposting-test/
(raw clip)

http://rodfathermobile.com/2007/09/2...rd-came-today/
(w/ 4Mbps, can record 4hrs 23min footage on a 8GB card)

http://rodfathermobile.com/2007/10/0...or-video-test/
(just posted this)
Rodney Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #44
Trustee

Does anyone know of a retailer that has stock and will ship to Canada?
I want one now!!!
Thanx
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #45
Major Player

Well, I know what I'm getting my niece and nephew for Christmas...
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News