New 720p Pocket cam $169. Aiptex A-HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

New 720p Pocket cam $169. Aiptex A-HD

Looks like an improvement over the Go model in ways.

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=92&page=1

An review:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...96&forum_id=92

Still trying to find out details of HD component out.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Major Player

No 24p. Yawn.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Funny, no 24p an serious disadvantage for an $169 HD camera ;). 30p good for the US, no 25p is the kicker for Australia and Pal market. The low data-rate of all these cameras is the real sore point. 9mb/s h264 25p would be acceptable, 18mb/s preferable.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Tourist

In theory 720p doesn't have to be more then 4mbit/s when using Mpeg4 or H264. It just depends I think on the quality of the encoding. So my question is how good is that chip. I shot a sample footage using that camcorder at IFA 2007 and I'm posting it at http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/?year=2007

My goal with a 720p camcorder today would be to shoot HD for video-blogs, which looks perfect on computer screens and which look better than DVD on big screens and using projectors. So for me less than 4mbit/s might be just perfect, I just think it's also important that it records good sound quality and also supports an external microphone.

And I'd rather actually have a DivX 720p camcorder then a H264 720p camcorder even though h264 might improve compression by about 10%.
Nicolas Charbonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Does anyone own this camera , or has anyone owned the go model ? From the buyer reviews I've seen , the quality of the product is very low , but about a 1/3 get an acceptable camera . Does that mean I need to buy 3 ??
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Just ordered one today from Aiptek website. Free car charger... Yippie... Otherwise I'm looking to find a camera that I can use to place on a bunch of motorcycle racers. If the first one is good. I'll buy 4 more to place all over the riders... Will post video when I recveive the camera. I know it probable won't have stablization but I plan on using FCP's "SmoothCam" feature. Which has given me great results before. Will check back...
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

No 24/25p?
It's not even worth buying as a paper weight.

Wake up, manufacturers!!!!!
Paul V Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

looks like a fun little camera to me!
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Zimmerman View Post
I'm looking to find a camera that I can use to place on a bunch of motorcycle racers.
Right, this is the camera to hook up to a skate board, motorcycle, dog, RC plane, hole in ground, railroad tracks, etc. Doesn't matter if the sound sucks or if it's shaky footage, it's for the impossible shot. Hell I'd wrap it in bubble wrap and throw it off a building!

If you get the shot, the file will be worth more than the camera :-)
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Trustee

I'm also very interested in this units video quality. What control there is (if any) over image. And how well the cam works with movement, actual resolution, and low light. I do not care at all about audio.
There appears to be a HD resolution "Go" model that has better low light capability. Anyone help with this?
It seems like a fantastic option for specialty shots and long record time given how cheap the mem cards are.
I think I'm going to get one just for the analog-in view/record and media player functions.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Trustee

I found the manual here:
http://www.goaiptek.com/manuals/manual-ahd.pdf

Manual features include white balance and exposure. There is no explanation of how shutter works, but it isn't user selectable. It does state that night shot lowers shutter.

The Go-HD offers 3x optical zoom, and some free accessories, but doesn't inclued the analog in function. Any idea why it is 2x the price of the A-HD?

PS- one shocker I found was these cams offer a histogram! Huh!
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Trustee

Go-HD ~Get One right away!!!

Saw one- bought one............WOW!
This thing is worlds better than the JVC HD10U or HD 1! Does a much better job of handling highlights (but does blow out extremes- but much better at holding bright areas!)
This camera produces much better footage than my $1600 JVC Everio HD7! I simply can't believe how good this plastic fantastic is. Everything about it screams "toy" but it does produce very nice, sharp, footage. It produces .mov files that have these properties-
http://www.stevenunez.com/GoHDMediaProp.jpg
and is surprisingly good at low light levels (much better than the HD10U/HD1 or HD7!!!)

How Aiptek can do this for $279 is beyond me- kinda makes you wonder what these companies are really paying for these so called "expensive" CMOS sensors.

The downside is no image stabilization at all- NONE! No manual controls other than some preset white balance options and EV adjustments a few steps in either direction (I believe the less expensive model doesn't offer this- but not certain.)
If Aiptek can produce this camera that shoots to SD cards (and they don't have to be high speed HC type either- standard SD is suffice) I can't imagine why Canon or Panasonic can't do the same but on a higher level! Full manual controls, focus ring, mic input, custom WB, optical IS etc.........this is what we want!!!!!!!!!

Guys trust me on this one- if you can do with the shortcomings I've listed- this camera will knock your socks off! This camera has single handedly killed the Sanya Xacti camera- which has horrible low-light shooting (but better manual controls.)

(Mac users note: Call Aiptek and ask them for Firmware 1.5- they don't officially support it but will email it to you upon request. It will allow the camera to be used as a card reader <even SDHC cards> and when recharging via USB port it will mount the card on the Mac OSX desktop- allowing full access to the video files!)

I really hope a "Pro" version get's released- this thing is great and shoots progressive 720P.........makes me smile every time I pick it up.......all for $279!

(You can even find them on sale at various shops- I've seen them under $240 with discount!)
Have fun and let us know what you think about yours!
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #13
New Boot

Let's see some footage then...
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Just picked up an A-HD at Circuit City for $150... too dark now to shoot much test footage but I'll upload some samples tomorrow.

Overall impressions - it's small, light, cheap and simple. As Steve noted the only image control options are white balance and exposure compensation - everything else is auto. It's not something I'd recommend buying if you have expectations of using it for professional work.

That said, the image quality looks pretty good so far. At 4Mbit/s it's definitely pushing the limits of h.264 for 720p res - this mostly seems to manifest itself during fast pans, with the image going soft and then sharpening up again when the camera stops moving. We'll see tomorrow if it's as noticeable in bright light.

This looks to be a great travel cam - I'm not going to carry my XHA1 on vacation, but I can see taking this with me almost anywhere I go. I'm also thinking it'll be good on my bike for road trips - almost like a helmet cam but without the hassle of cables, etc. No image stabilizer, so I'll have to mount it on me instead of the bike (twin vibrates enough to overwhelm OIS anyway). Only odd thing - again as Steve noted - the instructions say to hit record & close the LCD for longer battery life (which I'd like to do when riding) but as soon as you close the screen it shuts off. Still with a claimed 90 minute battery life, and 60 minutes per 2gig card, it's probably fine with the screen on - you can flip it down flush with the body to keep it out of the way.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #15
Major Player

I think at $150, there's not much to lose here, unless it's HORRIBLE, and it doesn't sound like it. As soon as I see some footage, I'm just about sold... maybe. I already have too many consumer camcorders.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News