New video iPods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Wrangler

New video iPods

Finally the product which a lot of people have been waiting for... a lot like the iPhone without the phone :-) http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Apple has also added a full video screen to the nano. Very impressive for such a small package: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What a big statement to people who spent $599 on an iPhone.

Despite my loyalty to Apple, they're gonna start whizzing people off by doing this price cut stuff two months after they release a product.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

How about this?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/a...supplies-last/

M
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Wrangler

iPhone early adopters should have been prepared for something like this since it happens constantly with all sorts of high tech stuff - caveat emptor. Instead of buying immediately after a product launch, wait a few months. You can usually get something better, less buggy, and cheaper at that point.

Apple is in business to sell stuff and make money and this is just a marketing decision to try and move a lot of phones. Would I be happy if I'd bought an iPhone before? No. But that's why I didn't buy one right away...
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'm not a past or present user of anything Apple, and I feel just the opposite of Nate. If you don't want to pay premium prices, don't be on the bleeding edge. Besides, the overall iPhone + service price isn't much out of line with any competing new gadget like a Treo. Even though I don't want one and they may not be described as inexpensive by most, the other new iPod features WITHOUT the phone aren't out of line for a brand new gizmo.

I remember paying similar price way back when for my Palm V with a b&w lcd screen. BTW, anyone want it...it is still sitting in a "stuff to get rid of" box...oops, that's for the the Private Classified Ads!

As Mike has implied with the link, hey, it's the way of the world. Just bizniz.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Boyd Ostroff;739738]iPhone early adopters should have been prepared for something like this since it happens constantly with all sorts of high tech stuff - caveat emptor. Instead of buying immediately after a product launch, wait a few months. You can usually get something better, less buggy, and cheaper at that point.
QUOTE]

Very wise words from the youngster. I was ONE of those that waited 3 years after Windows XP came out to upgrade. I was only hoping that SPRINT would get off their limited mental laurels and come out with something that was iphonish, instead it was some 17 year old geek on Foxnews.
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
iPhone early adopters should have been prepared for something like this since it happens constantly with all sorts of high tech stuff - caveat emptor. Instead of buying immediately after a product launch, wait a few months. You can usually get something better, less buggy, and cheaper at that point.

Apple is in business to sell stuff and make money and this is just a marketing decision to try and move a lot of phones. Would I be happy if I'd bought an iPhone before? No. But that's why I didn't buy one right away...

When is the last time a highly anticipated product dropped 33% in 2 months? To my knowledge, this has never happened. The problem here is that nearly 1/3rd of everyone who bought the iPhone was a first time Apple purchaser, all had to sign a 2 year contract, many had to pay a fee to get out of a current contract. This is not merely a device that got cheaper, more complicated than that.

It makes sense for Apple to recoup $200,000,000 toward their R&D by overcharging early adopters from a business point of view but it is going to give them some BAD PR from the non-fanboy people. People are already calling this the "fanboy tax" which is pretty funny.

Personally, $200 isnt a huge deal to me. I think it is lame but I would probably do it over again.

As far as the new iPods? I agree with the general sentiment, big whoop. Apple has set the bar really high and these just dont cut it. The Nano is interesting but with a screen that small? Ehhh. 16GB touch would have made more sense, PRE-iPhone, it will not appeal to anyone who already has an iPhone. The 160GB classic is nice for those who have to have all their media with them at all times. In general, these seem like bridge models to something cooler next year. I suspect that next September we will be talking about a 64GB touch ipod or iphone...

I am anxiously awaiting a Mac Pro update though...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
As far as the new iPods? I agree with the general sentiment, big whoop.
Seems like a pretty big whoop to me: finally a decent widescreen video iPod at a price most folks can afford without committing to a two-year cell phone contract. I wish I'd known this was coming before my wife and I bought a regular video iPod a few weeks ago.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Major Player

I for one, like the little nano. Just to store my little projects to watch when I am bored or something along those lines. I think it's great. As for the big Ipod.. Hmmnn... Don't know.. But I think they will sell tons of the video nano's to cheapskates like me! LOL :-)
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Wrangler

It's understandable why people are upset, but the situation really wouldn't be much different if the price drop came 3 months or 6 months after introduction. You need to determine whether a product is worth the cost at the time you buy it. What happens later is another matter. But it's a pretty safe bet that anything high tech will get cheaper/faster/bigger/cooler very quickly and you always pay a big premium to be the first kid on the block with a new gadget.

And from the perspective of all the people who haven't bought an iPhone yet, this is welcome news. Apple has a long history of p*ssing off their early adopters by releasing cheaper and faster versions of computers rapidly. You really need to go into this kind of thing with your eyes open.

And it isn't just Apple, I've been reading a GPS forum about a series of products which Garmin just announced (the Nuvi 7xx series) that replaces the recent 6xx series and adds features which existing owners were hoping for in a free firmware upgrade. Lots of unhappy people there too. FWIW, I just bought one of the 6xx series myself and would have really liked to have those features also, but I made my purchase knowing full well what the current model did and what it cost. Such is life...
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Major Player

iPhone - price drop is nice, but I still refuse to be tied to AT&T for service.

160GB ipod - yeah, I've had something like that for almost a year now, nice big screen too. it's called the Archos504 and it can be used as an external self-powered hard drive in addition to playing every video codec and mp3s.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #12
Tourist

Can we run with the new Nano?

I've had many people tell me that running with the old Ipod Classic was dangerous because it was a hard drive and could be easily damaged. Does anyne know if the nano is the same or is it flash technology like the shuffle?
Paul Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #13
Major Player

I've never had a problem with the hard drive iPods. I wouldn't say I'm a runner, but I've done some running with it.

I'm excited to replace my 4G iPod Photo with a new 160GB :)

Anyone know what the recording capabilities will be? I know that the 5G increased it to 16bit 44.1KHz. I wonder if it's any better in the 6G (not that it's a big deal).
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I was happy and surprised with all the announcements. Sadly, I just bought a 20gig on woot the other day, so I won't be getting one any time soon.

I think that overall this shows how cheap media has become. 160GB? It would be fun to create a striped array.

16GB solid state is pretty nice, and I think that eventually those will upgrade as the price point of flash memory goes down.

I was surprised with the price drop of the iPhone, especially since it is doing well, and it probably wasn't necessary (yet). Obviously the internal sales people have a better knowledge of the prices, and either believe that the profit margin is good enough to warrant the drop, or think that to get a larger market hold everyone needs to have an iPhone.

Buy me out of my contract and I'll gladly switch, Steve.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I think its ironic that the audio product has more storage than the video product. Seems a bit backwards to me.

I'd go for the iPod Touch, if it had more storage. In fact, I expect that to be the case next year...

I had access to a 30GB Creative Zen last year. It was nice to be able to travel with quick access to ones video projects, as well as a music/photo collection.

One reason that a large drive would be nice would be to store higher resolution stuff with reasonable compression and connectors to a TV. It would be a quick way to share your video projects with others - and to be able to experience it with them. Watching somebody hold a gadget with earbuds plugged in isn't nearly as fun as watching something together on a TV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News