$100 HD DVD player - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM   #121
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
Even if you factor in say 20.00(which is the cheapest I have seen a HD DVD) for the seven movies, which I know the two in the box are 30.00 movies, your basically getting at least 140.00 worth of movies for free.
Who cares is it seven or twenty free movies, if they are no good? I don't see how they can be worth anything. Let see what Toshiba offered with A2:

Category A: "Aeon Flux", "Babel", "The Italian Job" -- I ordered "Babel", not interested in the flux, neither in the remake of another good movie.

Category B: "The Hulk", "Pitch Black", "The Thing" -- I ordered "Pitch Black" as the one that may be even remotely interesting. This whole category is out of interest for me.

Category C: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "Swordfish", "Full Metal Jacket" -- the last one was worthy ordering, but I am not the only one in the family who watch movies, so I ordered the first one. "Swordfish" is notable only for its soundtrack by Paul Oakenfold.

Category D: "Firewall", "The Frighteners", "U2: Rattle and Hum" -- I have "The frighteners" on the DVD, it is a director's edition, even more boring than theatrical release. I bought it only because of Michael J. Fox, I am a big fan of him. "Rattle and Hum" does not do full justice to U2 music, so this is no go. I ordered Firewall because I haven't watched it yet, but judging by reviews it is a so-so movie.

Category E: "Black Rain", "Darkman", "Troy" -- Computer effects and no real semblance to Greek drama? Thanks, but no, "Troy" is not for me. "Darkman" is just a B-movie, sometimes funny but ordering it in HD? "Black Rain" is poorly scripted, but at least it has no computer effects, so I decided to give it a shot and to re-watch it in HD.

All it all, only two movies worth considering: "Babel" and "Full Metal Jacket".
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #122
MPS Digital Studios

The Thing is worth it for me. Some of these deals include picking your own films.

heath
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM   #123
Major Player

"Who cares is it seven or twenty free movies, if they are no good? I don't see how they can be worth anything. Let see what Toshiba offered with A2:"

What your saying is completely subjective. And obviously some care since there were alot of these units sold. Maybe not you, but you are not the only person on the planet. I don't really see your point. Honestly, the movies you stated are worth watching are probably the last I would ever select as "worthy" or entertaining(and I already have both movies you stated you selected on standard dvd, with me watching the first five minutes of babel and falling asleep twice). But then again, you and I are two different people.

Heath did you find any better deals for tomorrow?
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM   #124
Regular Crew

A3 + 10 free movies

I just looked at the friday deals posted on BB, CC, Sears, WM and Target web-sites. No Toshiba A2s. I found A3 at CC for $199 + tax. Therefore, I purchased A3 + 10 free movies (2 in the box, 3 from selection and 5 by mail) from Amazon for $187. That seemed to be a good deal.

P.

Edit-1: Now the price at Amazon is $159 and they don't allow me to cancel my order and reorder at the new price.

Edit-2: Also you may be eligible to buy Toshiba HD-A35 for an incredible $149 if you vote:

http://promotions.amazon.com/gp/holi...EQQ218F33KN3NT
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM   #125
Inner Circle

I jumped on it!

Was just cruzing the sales and found the good deal at Amazon. Two HD
DVD's in the box (300 and The Bourne Identity), chose 3 others and will print out the rebate for five more.

The price was even better than they advertised when it was totaled up, see below. So that's a total of 10 DVD's with the A3, and shipping for $176.42!

I don't think that's bad at all!

OK, I have officially taken sides-------GO HD DVD!

Item(s) Subtotal: $243.83
Shipping & Handling: $16.44
Promotion Applied: -$83.85
-----
Total Before Tax: $176.42
Estimated Tax: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $176.42

Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me!

Mike :)

PS: That is basically a free HD DVD player and I totally agree with Heath, The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies! Now I can throw away my old copied off of the TV VCR copy!

M

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; November 22nd, 2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: PS and spelling
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #126
Major Player

Nice find Mike,

I am looking at the same thing and not seeing anything about the three and five other free movies you can get with the A3.

Where is this info, and what sort of choices are they?
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:22 AM   #127
Inner Circle

Here's the link to the page, it's kind of hard to find. You kind of have to click around in circles to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B000U62N1S

You click on the player, click and choose your three movies from that page and then add it to your cart.

You don't see the final price until you buy then it gives you the final price. It was actually cheaper than it said. Those prices I listed are copied right from my invoice and I have already received the email confirmation. So I know it is legit. It is like 4 to 5 weeks for deliver though.

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:28 AM   #128
Inner Circle

Also, don't click on the info for the player, just click the box next to the picture, then click on the boxes next to the movies you want. Then add to the cart. I have bought from Amazon.com many times and you can cancel your order anytime too, so if was not right, I would have just canceled the order. Turned out if was even cheaper than advertised.

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:34 AM   #129
Inner Circle

Also, I think you click on the picture above the model you want I think. I chose the first picture, the one above the A3 description.

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #130
Major Player

Thanks a bunch!
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM   #131
Major Player

He He You guys crack me up! I am sure you all will love the player! BTW, happy black friday dudes and dudettes! Lets see how the sales add up today!!

Damon
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedanes Bol View Post
I just looked at the friday deals posted on BB, CC, Sears, WM and Target web-sites. No Toshiba A2s. I found A3 at CC for $199 + tax. Therefore, I purchased A3 + 10 free movies (2 in the box, 3 from selection and 5 by mail) from Amazon for $187. That seemed to be a good deal.

P.

Edit-1: Now the price at Amazon is $159 and they don't allow me to cancel my order and reorder at the new price.

Edit-2: Also you may be eligible to buy Toshiba HD-A35 for an incredible $149 if you vote:

http://promotions.amazon.com/gp/holi...EQQ218F33KN3NT
just email them and ask for the price adjustment. I did when I bought mine at $199 and then I saw the $159 price. I emailed them asking for a refund and they checked the price and it had gone back up to $179. They then gave me $20 back.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #133
Regular Crew

Thank you Daniel. I did the same thing and they refunded me the difference based on their current price ($179).

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
Category B: "The Hulk", "Pitch Black", "The Thing" -- I ordered "Pitch Black" as the one that may be even remotely interesting. This whole category is out of interest for me.
I agree with Heath and Mike : "The Thing" is a classic film, one of the best of the horror genre, John Carpenter builds tension well and the special effects from 1982 (no CGI of course = good!) were fantastic.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #135
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Just saw that Best Buy is advertising a $400 Blu-Ray player, which includes 6 disks and a $100 Best Buy Gift Card.
Just go for a Sony Playstation 3. I have the Sony Blu-Ray player, and it's just SLOW to startup and eject. I don't have a PS3, but I'd be happier to wait that amount of time for startup.

My Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray player takes about 45 seconds to startup, 4 seconds to eject the disc, 30 seconds to insert disk and play. Chapter advance takes a few seconds . Painful. What is it doing? Running Linux ? I'm not sure if the PS3 is fastert, but I'll ask my friend. The PS3 also offers a photo viewer and Internet browser. The DVD upscaling is of the BDP-S300 is touted to be great. Blu Ray movies look great. I didn't notice anything other than the expected softness for SD DVDs until I watched a horrible SD DVD of Ocean's Thirteen . There was major blockiness, almost as if there was no filter on the interpolation to 1080p. My TV is a Sony LCD 52" and generally delivers stunning HD quality from the BluRay disks as well as from HD content from Comcast cable.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News