$100 HD DVD player - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM   #106
Regular Crew

According to the reviews on Amazon it's the phazer OR the 5 free movies as both offers require the UPC and there is only one UPC and it seems Toshiba support has confirmed this.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM   #107
Major Player

Oh, and I forgot to mention, for those that have picked up either the A2 or A3, you should really check out the "planet earth" documentary if you haven't! It is the most beautiful thing I have watched on my A2. I am putting it on my christmas list and someone better get it for me! LOL

But seriously, this one, is definately great and it has come down in price also! But a "must have for the quality of the images alone! Not to mention the documentary is pretty good also!

Damon

PS: I'm a trekkie and a bit of a geek(never be ashamed of your geekiness! LOL), and the remote offer is just a bit too corny for me! I would rather have a few more dvd's than that thing. Just imagine, you have someone over and your watching a movie and possibly want to rewind or pause and you grab that thing! Definate loss of all cool points IMHO! LOL
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM   #108
MPS Digital Studios

I have to say, one of the biggest advantages of HD DVD is Paramount's library, particularly Star Trek. I'd buy an HD DVD player to watch Star Trek on HD DVD.

For Blu-Ray, it's probably Disney's stuff (and James Bond movies, too). Honestly, I'm just scratching the surface on both. Universal's classic monster films on HD DVD, awesome 80s action films on Blu-Ray (Die Hard, Predator, RoboCop, etc.) and more.

heath
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM   #109
Inner Circle

Well, tomorrow is the day! I do hope I can get one of these HD DVD units. I understand that you can burn short HD content on standard discs with red laser burners and play on these units? I need to learn this process. I don't need hours, just 15 minutes or so.

Star Trek is definitely a big plus!

Mike
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM   #110
Major Player

I probably will eventually pick up the Trek series on HD DVD, but I have every Star Trek movie, so I am not too eager to plunk down that cash on Shatner.. LOL But I am sure I will sooner or later.

But one of the favorites that is coming out soon that I will pick up on HD DVD is the Harry Potter series! Or I may just buy them one at a time. I am not sure yet, but I am slowly beginning the transition to HD DVD(very slowly). I think they also have Van Helsing on HD DVD, I am not sure. But Transformers is probably the best I have purchased to date! Megatron was awesome! LOL
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM   #111
MPS Digital Studios

The new, remastered versions of Classic Trek seem worth buying on HD DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...Frd%5Fi=507846

heath
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM   #112
Major Player

Heath, have you purchased or rented them? How do they look? Better than the originals? I guess I could just Netflix them if they have them to see for myself, but these days for a remaster, it has to look good(like extremely!) for me to plunk down 130.00. I will have to check Netflix to see how it looks! If they look good, thanks for the link!

Damon
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM   #113
MPS Digital Studios

No idea, because I don't have an HD DVD player. I SERIOUSLY wish I'd bought the $100 player...

heath
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM   #114
Major Player

Ok, got ya. For the 100 sale, well, thats of course a done deal, but I looked online(I believe best buy and circuit city have them for that price, but definately circuit city, better jump on it!) and they are running some 200.00 sales for the A3, which according to my friend actually starts up better and has the(I believe this is the correct name) renasis chip in it. I know he said it doesn't take like a minute to start like my A2(with the 2.5 firmware) but I am not 100 on the chip. Actually if I could find another A2 for cheap, I would pick it up myself. I like the unit that much. I actually looked at the A3 last night with a friend and I don't care for the remote. Toshiba shrunk it down compared to the A2!

Also, I read a few reviews on Amazon about the Trek, and they had good things to say! A few naysayers, but that is always going to be the case. But for the most part good things. I may wait on that one for the price to drop like that planet earth series. That one for example was 100 when I first rented it, but now, on newegg they have it for 69 and at my local best buy for 79. I figure by Christmas I may be able to pick the sucker up for like 50! Its a great time to be a consumer and "able" to buy a few things! This is going to be a great christmas season!
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM   #115
MPS Digital Studios

I didn't see it at Circuitcity.com...Do you have a link? They have up to 30% off on HD DVD and Blu-Ray players.

heath
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM   #116
Inner Circle

Irony!

Something just hit me as very funny, as I sit here waiting for Black Friday and my chance to get the A3.

I just took delivery this week of a SL-HF400 Sony Super BETA hi-fi VCR! I have a friend/client who is an actress and needs a new demo reel. Most of the stuff she has is on BETA and so I needed the unit to capture them.

Believe me the BETA units are a hot item and cost sometimes more than they did new. So, as I sit waiting to buy the A3 on Friday, I am cleaning and hooking up my 20 year old VCR technology!

Go Figure! :)

Mike
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM   #117
Major Player

Heath, here you go(if my linking capabilities are good today.. LOL):

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

And I still have a S-VHS deck sitting on my desk also! I don't use it, but it's still functional.

Damon
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #118
Major Player

They also have it at best buy at that price when you add it to your cart, but it shows them out of stock(which is a typical move for best buy)...
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM   #119
MPS Digital Studios

Oh, I thought you meant more $100 A2s. I had a thought, btw, of looking on auction sites for the $100 A2, but then I'd have to buy HD DVDs that I'd normally get for free.

So buying a $200 A3 and getting a ton of free movies is probably cheaper than buying a $100 A2 online somewhere and buying the films.

heath
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM   #120
Major Player

Oh no. I haven't seen more at that price for a bit. I can't remember the site, but I think it was newegg that actually had the A2's but they wanted like 269.00 for them. And definately, if it were me, I would buy the A3 at 200 and get the 7 free movies versus buying a last generation unit and having to buy the additional titles.

Even if you factor in say 20.00(which is the cheapest I have seen a HD DVD) for the seven movies, which I know the two in the box are 30.00 movies, your basically getting at least 140.00 worth of movies for free. From there, I am sure you see the math between the two scenerios.

A couple things to keep in mind that I had to find out the hard way is that it "definately" takes 8-10 weeks to recieve the discs through the mail, and also if you have to call them, there is a separate little number that you have to call for these rebates. I was soo angry when I contacted them regarding my discs, that I vowed I would never send in another rebate and actually "wait" for it. I normally don't, but I really wanted to see these movies. Not that they are the newest discs, but hey, they are free... LOL

Anyhow, yes, I would definately suggest getting the A3. I think someone posted a link on here for Sears having them tomorrow for 169.00. I am also checking walmart to see what they have. If I find anything I will post links.

Damon
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News