Hollywood strike immediately affects shows - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Maybe I don't go to the right places, but I haven't found dining out or even grocery shopping to really be more expensive in Los Angeles than any other big city.

Real estate is nuts, but many of the other costs didn't seem too far out-of-line to a Texan like me.

Quote:
Honestly, I think if they wait that long, then the other unions (IATSE and others) will be putting a lot of pressure on the writers to settle.
It think if the strike lasts into next year, there will be a lot of internal pressure to settle, as well.

Especially if the DGA swoops in and makes a deal before the end of the year like some people think they will.
Ryan Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #62
MPS Digital Studios

When we shot my film last year, my DP and gaffer came in from NYC. We went to lunch and each had a beer, talking about the shoot, etc. The total bill for burgers and beer was $40, including tip. The DP then said going out to a regular restaurant in NYC would've been double for TWO people.

When my wife, friend, his wife and I went out for Japanese hibatchi, our total bill was $40, including sushi, lobster/shrimp, beers and more, in South Carolina. Down here in West Palm Beach, it's $100 for two people!

It's all relative to rent costs for the restaurant, etc.

Heath
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #63
MPS Digital Studios

ps-A lot of people think that'll happen with the DGA--make a deal. If SAG strikes, though, it'll get a bad reaction by the public. Just like when sports stars have gone on strike, it has always ended up bad, PR-wise.

Heath
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't think the studios will let all this go until July and allow the actors to go on strike (the actors can't strike until then). One way or another, I think it will all be settled before then.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #65
Major Player

Comedy is how those of us who realize the crisis that the current system has put us in stay sane. Nuff said. =D

C
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #66
Regular Crew

It's only been within the past few months that the Daily Show and Colbert Report writers were covered under a WGA contract.

Cable shows aren't necessarily automatically covered by a WGA contract, and, until recently, the Comedy Central shows were not.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Paige View Post
It's only been within the past few months that the Daily Show and Colbert Report writers were covered under a WGA contract.
Timing is everything...

I hope that this is resolved soon for everybody concerned. (And I hope the writers get some concessions.)

BTW, Eisner blames Steve Jobs for this "stupid strike."

http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-981...=2547-1_3-0-20
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #68
MPS Digital Studios

David Letterman is a class act, paying his employees while they're shut down due to the writers strike.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...ing-his-staff/

heath
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #69
Major Player

That is really cool for Dave to do.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #70
MPS Digital Studios

I'm going to have a follow-up article talking about how Hollywood is basically "shutting down," and not just for Thanksgiving. Plus, negotiations to re-open Monday the 26th??

heath
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #71
Major Player

link-o-rama

There are reports that the whole staff at SNL got the sack.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312073,00.html

Here's also a neat blog that is collecting a list of all the people that lost their jobs because of the strike.

http://getbackinthatroom.blogspot.com/
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #72
MPS Digital Studios

New article updating the strike

Here's my new article at Screen Rant, updating the strike:

http://screenrant.com/archives/holly...us-n-1164.html

Hollywood is "shutting down," with films stalling before production, and cast and crew on such shows as Battlestar Galactica are getting "lay off" notices. Plus, negotiations FINALLY re-opening? LET'S HOPE SO!

heath

Last edited by Heath McKnight; November 18th, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #73
Major Player

Change is always painful. I feel for anyone out of work, I too have been struggling to make a living in this bomb first, pay later world we live in. But TV is awful for the most part. Hollywood movies are awful for the most part. Trying to get even a little distribution for independent filmmakers is a joke. I would rather get less money and work for the rest of my life than have to compete for the golden ring of Hollywood to make anything at all. Of the films I have enjoyed over the years, most were low budget productions, free from the tired old formulas, big "stars", and fast food advertising. If Hollywood and TV producers only want money, and more every year, I can only see good coming from big change in the way we make and watch.
Just some thoughts,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jaschob View Post
Change is always painful. I feel for anyone out of work, I too have been struggling to make a living in this bomb first, pay later world we live in. But TV is awful for the most part. Hollywood movies are awful for the most part...
I'm glad you wrote this. I feel the same way. The stuff being put out today...for the most part... is seriously disappointing.

Hopefully, some good will come out of this and some new blood is added to the system that refuses to be status quo.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boda View Post
I'm glad you wrote this. I feel the same way. The stuff being put out today...for the most part... is seriously disappointing.

Hopefully, some good will come out of this and some new blood is added to the system that refuses to be status quo.
Keep in mind, though, that it's not so much the writers and other creatives who are responsible for the disappointing output from Hollywood ... their output is controlled and dictated in large part (if not completely) by the studio and company executives. So if some good comes out of the strike, it will hopefully result in more creative control being vested in the writers, rather than the executives.

But that's probably too much to hope for, since the executives think they are the creative geniuses in Hollywood, and the writers are just there to do the grunt work.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News