DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New Mac Pros are out with Penryn CPUs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/111929-new-mac-pros-out-penryn-cpus.html)

Ocean Zen January 8th, 2008 04:03 PM

New Mac Pros are out with Penryn CPUs

www.apple.com/macpro

Been waiting this for a long time

I'll be getting an 8 core 2.8 GHZ with an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 512MB GDDR3

:) :)

Greg Patch January 8th, 2008 04:28 PM

Finally! they put an optical audio I/O, this is my next machine. It's going to be hooked to my surround system..Finally!

Matthew Rogers January 8th, 2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Patch (Post 805010)
Finally! they put an optical audio I/O, this is my next machine. It's going to be hooked to my surround system..Finally!

Umm....I've got an optical out on my G5 which was released in 2003...not really new.

Matthew

Joe Lawry January 8th, 2008 04:33 PM

Sold on every count.

Hmm they've upgraded the gfx cards too, so does that mean what they are now selling stock with the machines, the ATI Radeon HD 2600 is enough to run color?

Mike Brown January 8th, 2008 04:38 PM

From the linked page:

Quote:

You can run up to eight 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays at the same time with just one Mac Pro.
Hmmm, hmmm. Eight displays -- is that going to be enough?

Oh wait, my office isn't even 240 inches wide. *sigh*

Phil Hoppes January 8th, 2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Brown (Post 805021)
From the linked page:

Hmmm, hmmm. Eight displays -- is that going to be enough?

Oh wait, my office isn't even 240 inches wide. *sigh*

Maybe you just need a couple of these.........

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-keynot.html

Brian Parker January 8th, 2008 08:28 PM

No mention of blu-ray drives though. Do you think it's worth waiting till the mac expo thing finishes before buying it? Feasibly, they could be holding off blu-ray announcements till then couldnt they? I read that there'll be a "special" announcement for mac FCP users next weds.

Does anyone in the know have any advice over which graphics card would work smoothest with Premiere and After Effects CS3?

I also heard rumour about new touch keyboards in the works. I'm salivating over the idea of having CS3 app shortcut maps rather than the current qwerty keyboard map staring up at me.

Greg Boston January 8th, 2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Patch (Post 805010)

Optical out on my Imac G5 from 2005. Shares the same port with the stereo mini plug line out.

-gb-

Matthew Rogers January 8th, 2008 09:39 PM

I just picked up the 2.8 Ghz model tonight. It's a very nice upgrade from my old Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 PowerMac.

Matthew

Jack Zhang January 9th, 2008 02:16 AM

IBM's Cell Vs 2 of Intel's Penryn Xeons... Whichever one's faster is a big question (since PS3s only cost $400 and a 8 core 3.2GHz Mac costs around $4000).

But still, OS X is a full operating system compared to the "always in beta" Linux.

Simon Wyndham January 9th, 2008 07:58 AM

Notice that the configuration options when you purchase one of the new Mac Pros allows you to select a single Quad core processor as an option. So a simple quad core Mac Pro is still on the cards for those who want to save some money.

Joe Busch January 9th, 2008 08:22 AM

Am I the only one blown away by how much Apple over-charges?

Terabyte drives are not $550...

2GB of DDR2 is not $500....

Steve Connor January 9th, 2008 09:15 AM

Fortunately the sane amongst us choose not to pay those prices and to afterfit them, which in a Mac is very, very easy.

John Stakes January 9th, 2008 09:25 AM

Matthew,

are you using your G5 as a secondary system now? just curious as I am on the market for one...

Mathieu Ghekiere January 9th, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 805361)
Am I the only one blown away by how much Apple over-charges?

Terabyte drives are not $550...

2GB of DDR2 is not $500....

No one buys those things at Apple. You only buy the Mac Pro, maybe screen and video card at Apple, put in all the rest yourself, buy cheaper elsewhere...
That's how the most people do it.