DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Cameo on "Reno 911" tonight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/113002-cameo-reno-911-tonight.html)

Charles Papert January 23rd, 2008 05:45 PM

Cameo on "Reno 911" tonight

This could be embarrassing--I haven't seen it yet. But I've just heard that an episode of "Reno 911" that I make an appearance in will be airing tonight. Won't tell you guys anymore than that. It's on at 10:30 PT, check your local listings (Comedy Central).

Lorinda Norton January 23rd, 2008 06:22 PM

I just called my parents--they're the ones with satellite tv--and asked if I can drop by late tonight. This, I've gotta see, Charles...

:)

Charles Papert January 23rd, 2008 08:07 PM

DirectTV on west coast is showing it at 7:30 and 9:30...

Chris Hurd January 23rd, 2008 09:59 PM

...as "yourself" for Tommy Hawk's Red Bull Moment?

Think I saw about one second of you at work during the travel trailer explosion six minutes in...

Charles Papert January 23rd, 2008 10:12 PM

oh boy, did I hit the cutting room floor? ah well.

Mike Andrade January 23rd, 2008 10:17 PM

I caught you when you guys raided the house towards the end.

Tom Wills January 23rd, 2008 10:23 PM

You showed up plenty in the version I saw. More than a few shots in the opening raid, and also a good amount of your operating was cut in, and also you showed up in the house raid, as was mentioned above. Overall, quite fun to see you in front of the camera, as well as your skillful operating.

Chris Hurd January 23rd, 2008 10:51 PM

Yeah, I spoke way too soon... responded at the commercial break following the trailer demo and saw everything afterwards (remember the server time is several minutes ahead). Nice job Chas -- what's funny is I read your post right at the stroke of 9:30, turned on Comedy Central and there it was right on cue as if by magic. Pretty cool!

Charles Papert January 24th, 2008 12:41 AM

Yes well, some face time but no comedy, but that's OK, the Reno guys and Diedrich have that more than covered. It was tough not laughing during the shoot. They are great improvisers.

I had forgotten about the promo for the Hawk show that we shot that day, lots of great little bits.

I had just gotten the HV20 when I did the Reno shoot and hid it in the background to get a behind-the-scenes of the trailer pyro--in some ways I think it may have been more impressive-looking in that clip than in the actual show!

http://web.mac.com/chupap/Films/Boom.html

Lorinda Norton January 24th, 2008 12:02 PM

That was fun! I hoped against hope for a line or two, but maybe another time. It was just nice getting to see you in action (loved the actual “face” time when you weren’t hidden behind your rig). Would have been even more fun for me if my parents hadn’t been sitting right there. I discovered that Reno 911 isn’t a show one should watch with one’s elderly parents… :)

Good thinking, hiding that camera, and I agree—your take is coolest!

Heath McKnight January 29th, 2008 01:14 PM

That was too funny, Charles. I've been wondering when this was going to air.

Heath

Robert Martens February 18th, 2008 12:41 AM

Okay, so I'm almost a month late for this, but I only just saw the episode. Comedy Central doesn't rerun Reno as much as it used to, what can I do?

I would have thought they'd feature some sort of rivalry between Hawk's operator and Joe, both competing for the same shots, elbowing each other out of the way, but it was still great to see the man himself in full floaty-camera glory, so well done Charles!

I note, sadly, that you seem to have been confused with prop master Guillame DeLouche on the episode's IMDb page (and they didn't capitalize Steadicam, the bums). Anyone here familiar with submitting corrections to those listings? Can't say I've done that before.

Charles Papert February 18th, 2008 12:58 AM

We actually did do a bit of "oneupmanship" between the two crews, with Hawk proudly announcing that we were shooting in HD and the Reno gang being ashamed of shooting in SD (which was funny but also true--they shoot on SDX900's and brought in the HDX900 for my rig that day).

The credit thing was a bit of a snafu but the producer insisted it will be sorted out (maybe it already has been for broadcast?)

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2008 12:59 AM

Nice to know I wasn't the only one here who caught the re-run tonight -- thanks Robert!