DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Gas-powered cameras? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/11502-gas-powered-cameras.html)

Dean Sensui July 1st, 2003 03:09 PM

Gas-powered cameras?

Not exactly gas. But just as intriguing.

Here's an interesting announcement by NEC. Laptops powered by fuel cells, which are fed by methanol (a type of alcohol).

http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/s...story=34667628

It shouldn't be long before similar power supplies are available for video work. Imagine carrying a can of methanol instead of spare batteries or chargers?

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Christopher Hughes July 1st, 2003 03:30 PM

So does that mean Drug dealers on the street would carry 'camcorder batteries' to look all 'innocent' to the local law enforcements....hahahaha

K. Forman July 1st, 2003 04:55 PM

Methanal= Methane+Alcohol

Alternative to pricey cells- Drink Tequilla and run a tube from your rear to your gear?

Ken Tanaka July 2nd, 2003 04:34 PM

This could put a whole new truism behind the expression, "My footage looks like crap.".

Marco Leavitt July 6th, 2003 02:21 PM

I read an article a few months back about researchers at Saint Louis University who have developed a fuel cell that runs on gin. I'm surprised the methanol fuel cells are taking so long to catch on. The technology is here now.

Vladimir Koifman July 6th, 2003 02:55 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marco Leavitt : I'm surprised the methanol fuel cells are taking so long to catch on. The technology is here now. -->>>

I've read fuel cells need some expensive catalisators to work, like platinum. So it's a matter of price mainly. The technology has been here for a long time already.

Marco Leavitt July 6th, 2003 03:18 PM

Yeah, its like native 16:9, HD, hard drives replacing tape, hover cars and everything else really cool that we have to wait for. Okay, not hover cars, but it seems like we're forever waiting for manufacturers to decide to start mass producing stuff. Its the eternal trap -- they can't bring the price down until they start mass producing, but they can't start mass producing until they're sure people want it, and regular people don't want it because they don't know about it because it isn't in stores because it isn't being mass produced. I understand the marketing dilemmas these companies face, but it sure is agravating.

Nathan Gifford July 7th, 2003 08:35 AM

Don't drink methanol its lethal. Ethyl alcohol is stuff gin is made of.

From one report I read, fuel cells could be very cost efficient. The cell's components do not wear out like batteries, though the issue of what to do with the water and low temperature performance could be problems. Lately another problem may have service and that is ozone production.

Another big advantage of fuel cells is life per charge. Battery technology is reaching a limit. Fuel cells have a longer operating life. Of course there is only speculation on how you would actually refill them (while they are in operation???).

Zac Stein July 7th, 2003 08:44 AM

--Another big advantage of fuel cells is life per charge. Battery technology is reaching a limit. Fuel cells have a longer operating life. Of course there is only speculation on how you would actually refill them (while they are in operation???).--

One sip for me, one sip for cell, one sip for me, one sip for cell, oen spi fro em, fhbjkbdsvhjfbhkdsabckdbdbc kbc

zac

*grinz*

Marco Leavitt July 7th, 2003 08:54 AM

I know that a local company in my area, MTI MicroFuel Cells Inc., claims to have solved the filling issue. They have patented a device that lets users fill their fuel cells. Supposedly they're going to reach full commercialization next year on a fuel cell that powers cell phones. They also claim that all water vapor just evaporates off at about the rate it's produced.