DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon MVX150i unique feature (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/11544-canon-mvx150i-unique-feature.html)

Tony Leung July 2nd, 2003 08:58 PM

Canon MVX150i unique feature

"A unique capability of the MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders allows you to press the still photo button while shooting video movies and simultaneously capture a still frame onto an SD or MultiMedia card. Thus you can record the entire event with motion and sound, and preserve key moments as stills for printing, editing, or e-mail applications."

Is it a unique feature for Canon MVX150i only? Any other DV can record still photo with video at the same time? It seems that it is a nice feature if you want to have continuous video without interruption but also want to have some snapshot.

The information is extracted from press release of Canon:
http://www.camera.canon.com.my/press/press/240303b.htm

EXCELLENT VIDEO and EXCELLENT STILLS

The overall design concept of the new MVX150i/100i is to provide high-quality moving digital video plus provide high quality digital still images. This is achieved through a combination of technologies and features never before combined into a single digital camcorder.

"While it is true that people purchase digital video camcorders and digital still cameras for different purposes, they rarely carry both," said Mr. Richard Yeow, Director & General Manager, Image Communication Products Division of Canon Marketing (M) Sdn Bhd. "These new camcorders make great movies and offer digital still photography suitable for e-mail or printing, with features and capabilities that truly offer our customers the best of both worlds."

ADVANCED OPTICS AND IMAGE STABILIZATION

Both new Canon models feature a powerful 16x Optical Zoom lens with high-refractive index two-sided aspherical elements for superior telephoto reach. When shooting video, digital zoom extends all the way to 320x. When recording still images on a SD or Multimedia memory card, the optical zoom is 15x, with 60x digital zoom.

With such a long zoom range, it is difficult for most people to hold cameras steady enough to avoid visible shaking of the image when shooting without a tripod. Canon has incorporated an advanced Electronic Image Stabilization system in the MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders to counteract this.

1.33 MEGAPIXEL CCD AND DIGIC DV SYSTEM

At the heart of the new camcorders is a _ inch, 1.33 megapixel CCD. When shooting movies, image size is 1066 x 800, or effectively 850k pixels. When shooting stills, image size is 1280 x 960, or 1.23 effective megapixels. Images from the CCD are processed using a new technology developed by Canon called DIGIC DV. Essentially, the main signal processing LSI is divided into two sections, one optimized for processing of moving video images, the other optimized for digital still images. Thus, there is no compromise of image quality in either case.

ADVANCED STILL PHOTO FEATURES

When shooting stills, the MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders offer users the choice of recording on miniDV tape or SD or MultiMedia memory cards (SXGA or VGA mode). When shooting in progressive still photo mode, the len's iris functions as a mechanical shutter to record sharp, clear images.

Auto Exposure Bracketing, a feature found on high-end Canon still cameras, assures proper exposure by shooting three frames when the shutter release (still photo button) is pressed once: one at proper exposure, one brighter, one darker. Unique to the Canon MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders are three user-selectable AF frames in the viewfinder: left, center or right, to keep off-center subjects sharp.

To capture action, the MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders allow still shooting at 3 frames-per-second for up to 30 frames in VGA size, and at 2 fps. for up to 10 frames in SXGA size.

Still images can be viewed on the camera's LCD screen or TV monitor, and/or transferred to a computer or other devices via standard USB connectors. The MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders also features Direct Print Mode, allowing direct connection of the camcorder to Canon's Direct Photo Printers for high quality prints without a computer.

ADVANCED VIDEO FEATURES

Both new camcorders are designed to produce sharp, steady movies under a wide variety of lighting conditions, and may be set to Full Auto mode or Sports, Portrait, Spotlight, Sand & Snow, and low light conditions to match shooting situations. The MVX100i has Night Mode, which maximizes ambient light. The MVX150i has Super Night Mode, with a bright white LED illuminator to shoot in 0 LUX conditions.

Both models feature DV IN/OUT and link with computers via standard IEEE1394 connectors. Analog Line-In and a built-in Analog-to-Digital Converter allow VHS, VHS-C or 8mm movies to be converted to digital video. They can then be edited or combined with more recent video projects.

DV Messenger is a Canon feature that brings real-time teleconferencing to the home or small office user with two compatible Canon DV camcorders and DV Messenger software (included). Users can even remotely control zoom, focus and operate play back controls the connected user's DV camcorders through the computer.*

AV insert and audio dubbing are also provided, along with advanced digital effects such as variable colour modes, including Art, Sepia, Black & White, and a selection of digital fades and wipes.

In addition to recording moving videos on miniDV tape, high-quality motion JPEG clips of up to 30 seconds duration can be recorded on SD or MultiMedia cards.

SIMULTANEOUS MOVIE AND STILL SHOOTING

Most DV camcorders with still photo functions require you to choose one or the other. A unique capability of the MVX150i and MVX100i camcorders allows you to press the still photo button while shooting video movies and simultaneously capture a still frame onto an SD or MultiMedia card. Thus you can record the entire event with motion and sound, and preserve key moments as stills for printing, editing, or e-mail applications.

Chris Hurd July 22nd, 2003 10:12 PM

In the USA, this is the Canon Optura 10 and 20.