Stage6.com shutting down... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 66
Stage6.com shutting down...

Did see any posts here...

http://www.stage6.com

I liked it over Vimeo, since what you uploaded was what you saw.

not converted to 23.97 fps.

oh well.
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 1,447
Imagine if you used them to host all your videos and you missed the three-day notice...
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 479
That's really too bad, Stage6 was great.
__________________
Mark Utley
Mark Utley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #4
New Boot
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 24
Sucky, I just started using it recently.
Loney Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loney Childress View Post
Sucky, I just started using it recently.
Same here.

I started this thread but I guess I was "shut down"... my post went poof! :))
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Same here.

I started this thread but I guess I was "shut down"... my post went poof! :))
Sorry about that Bill, I merged a second thread with yours and doing a read through, it made more sense from a continuity stand point to have just the one proclamation of the death of Stage6. The merge function puts the posts in chronological order. Your thread was certainly relevant, but I was trying to prevent two separate threads on the same subject in two different forums.

You also in started it in Video Industry News where it should be.

Hope you understand and there was certainly no malice intended.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 959
Greg, no harm no foul :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 611
Stage6's problem was that it allowed users to set their own parameters (that and needing to install it's own dedicated plug in). That meant uploaders could push the quality settings off the scale in order to preserve as much quality of the original as possible. However viewers woudl spend most of their time watching a "buffering" logo.

Say what you like about Vimeo, or let alone Youtube (or blipTV or Veoh, etc), the compromises they impose are designed to give the viewers a hassle free experience - "Give me convenience or give me death" as the Dead Kennedys said...

Stage6 had the potential to be a great service, and I get the feeling that as comapny in general, DivX are on the side of the angels (well, at least on the side of content creators) but I'm not surprised it's being switched off...
__________________
Shorts::Cut - www.shortscut.org.uk
The Short Film Festival for Portsmouth & Southsea.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; February 26th, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank View Post
Stage6's problem was that it allowed users to set their own parameters (that and needing to install it's own dedicated plug in). That meant uploaders could push the quality settings off the scale in order to preserve as much quality of the original as possible. However viewers woudl spend most of their time watching a "buffering" logo.

Say what you like about Vimeo, or let alone Youtube (or blipTV or Veoh, etc), the compromises they impose are designed to give the viewers a hassle free experience - "Give me convenience or give me death" as the Dead Kennedy's said...

Stage6 had the potential to be a great service, and I get the feeling that as comapny in general, DivX are on the side of the angels (well, at least on the side of content creators) but I'm not surprised it's being switched off...
So you have to install an proprietary Adobe Flash plugin for the others. I don't remember having a choice to install a non Adobe Flash plugin.

Nothing was wrong with the Divx plug in. Worked great.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...age6_shutdown/

They had an explosion in viewers from Oct to Jan 08.. nice problem to have.
But not when you aren't bringing in the cash.
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
So you have to install an proprietary Adobe Flash plugin for the others. I don't remember having a choice to install a non Adobe Flash plugin.
The flash plugin also opened up vast amounts of other web material. Websurfing is pretty difficult these days if you don't have flash, even if you never watch a second of FLV video.

Quote:
Nothing was wrong with the Divx plug in. Worked great.
but it was a plug in that only really worked with one website! Flash on the other hand was on 90% of computers even before Youtube.

Quote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...age6_shutdown/

They had an explosion in viewers from Oct to Jan 08.. nice problem to have.
But not when you aren't bringing in the cash.
...And not when your content "appears to be ripped from Japanese animé films and TV shows." - All take down notice & lawsuit bait once the viewers and advertisers started rolling in.

Like i said, it's not the service or the software that was a problem, it was that they allowed users to upload 90 minute 3MB/s vids.
__________________
Shorts::Cut - www.shortscut.org.uk
The Short Film Festival for Portsmouth & Southsea.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network