Sony-Canon-JVC-Sharp HD Format Agreement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 29th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #16
Major Player

What i meant is, the HD standard they have chosen will not be any more taxing on your storage space and throughput in comparison to our current standard.

I do conceed there will be slightly more pressure on your video card and cpu to play back the higher rez produce, but in reality any decent system up today that can already handle DV very well will handle this new standard without breaking a sweat.

You see they are just stuffing a new standard into the old standards framework. Hence it is a question of software updates rather than serious hardware change.

Current firewire speeds will be fine. Current harddrive speeds will be fine. Nearly everything will treat this new standard the same as the existing DV standard.

Zac

Ps. the 1 frame difference between 24p and 25p is a non issue it is almost impossible to spot the difference. What is noticable is that 25p handles long pans far smoother, as it's pulldown rate is even 2/2 (splits it into 2 fields) where as 24p-60i plays some funny math with 2's and 3's to fit it in and tends to jitter slightly because it's pulldown is not even, this of course only really noticable during long pans.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks again Zac,

Is there any guess as to Whether todays NLE programs (Vegas 4 etc.) can be patched or will HDV need a new round of editing programs to handle them?
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #18
Major Player

Unfortunately I was sent this by Sonic Foundry

"Thanks for writing. You will have to capture with a different program and then do your editing in Vegas 4.0. Vegas 4.0 can only capture from firewire and firewire doesn't capture HD".

The data rate is apparently to high, I was discussing this in the Vegas section of DVinfo. I guess it will take eide, raid, or the new firewire (2 or B) to capture it but I also think it is going to be a wait and see about a lot of issues.
Old September 6th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

It's not data rate, Don... FireWire supports 400 megabits per second; HD is 100 megabits per second. Your standard current-generation FireWire could handle a couple of HD streams and still leave plenty of overhead. I believe it's more of a CODEC issue, or the lack of a standard one for HD over FireWire, perhaps.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #20
Major Player

I wish you folks could saw my skull open and dump the info in, it's the only way I am going to learn fast enough.

Chris, how does the codec effect transfer protocol, I would think that 1's and 0's are are transfered and the source and destination would be the only ones that cared about content.

Thanks for the help.
Old September 7th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

<<how does the codec effect transfer protocol, I would think that 1's and 0's are are transfered and the source and destination would be the only ones that cared about content.>>

Well, yes. The problem is that it's not quite as easy as that. I don't know exactly how DV is compressed exactly, but I've never seen DV footage that's been anything other than 720x480, which says to me that it can't be anything else and that the codec is optimized for this. HD would require a higher resolution and more compression (since it's more data in the same data size, according to previous posts).

This is fine and all, but doesn't answer your question. As for capturing data, DV on a tape is just a steam of DV data. In order for the capturing program to read it, it would need to know how to decode it to display it, and, at the *very* least, get the timecode to know where to begin and end. I mean, sure, you could theoretically dump an entire tape onto disk and then deal with it with something that could handle HD (actually, IIRC, someone made a backup solution that used DV tapes as opposed to the rather expensive regular backup tapes... so it's not impossible to deal with data that way), but when was the last time you did that? You need to see the video and hear the audio while you're capturing and get only what you want.
Jon Yurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:05 PM   #22
Major Player

But all of this hasn't been written in stone yet, if firewire is fast enough, and new programs must be written to edit and burn HD, then why not write them using firewire protocol? High def camcordrs are new, The programs are just starting to trickle out. Why would a manufacturer work around one of the most user friendly, widly used transfer protocols that they are already licensed for? I guess thats where I am lost. Digital data is in binary, octal, hexidecimal, and some wierd grey codes made up in many different lengths. I guess that's my question, what does firewire care if it's carrying Hd, Sd, or pictures of hooters girls (wee hah). There are firewire hard drives, still cameras, video cameras, human interface devices, DVD burners, CD burners, all kinds of equipment that use firewire.
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #23
Warden

FireWire is just the pipe that carries the data. FireWire is not a format. As long as the data fits within FireWire specs. it can do the job.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Exactly. The only limitation Firewire would have is the speed at which it can deliver the bits. If DV is 25Mbps, then Firewire will have no problem for a long time to come since it can deliver (even in its slow form) 400Mbps.

I think you may be confused by what Sonic Foundry told you. They probably meant to say "We don't support HD over Firewire" and not that "You can't do it" since, as you said, it's just 1s and 0s - there's absolutely no reason to not be able to do it. As Jeff said, it's just a pipe. The thing is that they need to be able to understand what's coming down the pipe.
Old September 8th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #25
Major Player

So which of the following is correct.

A. future software may in fact use firewire to transfer high definition video.

B. The format of firewire is incompatible with high definition video.

Jeff, you are the Mac man, how does the new FCP transfer HD?

sorry for the Bother folks, I am just trying to get a grasp on a few things that are important to me, I was always the kid that had to know HOW things functioned to understand it. So please forgive me for dragging this out.

Don
Old September 8th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Don, I'd say most definitely that your option "A" is the correct one.

Old September 8th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

<<So which of the following is correct.

A. future software may in fact use firewire to transfer high definition video.

B. The format of firewire is incompatible with high definition video.>>

A is correct. B doesn't make a lot of sense since there is no real "format" to Firewire... none that would make a difference to the video, anyway.

Think of it this way: You have a cable connection from your cable company. A station can send normal TV signals over cable, and they can also send HD signal over the same cable, right? The cable isn't the problem if your TV can't display the HD signal, it's the TV's problem. It's the same thing with DV and HD over Firewire. They can both be transferred without a problem, but your NLE has to know what to do with it - it's not Firewire's fault if the NLE doesn't.
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Don

Quote:
forgive me for dragging this out
This message board was created for the purpose of dragging thiings out!

;-)

Old September 8th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #29
Warden

Quote:
Jeff, you are the Mac man, how does the new FCP transfer HD?
HD can be over FireWire or some other method such as SDI (Serial Digital Interface, another pipeline like FireWire). If you were using SDI, you'd need a PCI HD capture card like Pinnacle's CineWave HD, with an SDI interface.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:41 AM   #30
Contributor

Panasonic???

anyone know if panasonic is in the group,
or have another format (50 mb hd???)

ciao
Francesco
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News