PlayStation 3 Firmware (2.20) Soon! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

PlayStation 3 Firmware (2.20) Soon!

I noticed that amongst the list of "other" features that this new update will add is apparently the ability to play WMV and DivX videos which are more than 2GB in size (the current limit on the PS3 for these formats) and enhanced web browsing allowing downloading of video content and streaming. Apparently this firmware will be out before the end of March. :-)

This means I will be able to burn longer playing HD videos that I've shot/edited onto DVD+R's for watching on my HDTV (typically, at present, I get around 20-22 mins maximum of HD video on a DVD+R with .m2t files.)

Full list of enhanced features in link.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/20/p...ray-this-mont/

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 20th, 2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: adding link
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Andy what is your workflow for doing this?
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

.m2t HD files on DVD+R to play on PS3

Steve, here's one thread on this that I started some time ago. There have been others in the last few months that a search on PS3 should bring up. Basically, when I've finished my editing (in Vegas 7e, and I typically only edit in HD now) I just save a file in the normal HDV template and burn that on a disk or drag it to a flash drive. Then to play on the PS3, make sure you are in the Video folder (film frame icon) and use options (triangle button) to "show all files" (on the DVD+R or the USB Flash drive), select the one you want and sit back with a beer or two enjoying the full spectacle of your work in HD!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=PS3

Since the above linked thread was done Sony enable DivX playback on the PS3 (around Xmas 2007 time, can't remember which Firmware version it was but it was probably 2.0.) After that, I was typically putting DivX HD videos (often from the recently departed stage6.com site) either onto DVD+R's or more typically just on 4GB Sandisk U3 USB flash drives.
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I used UPnP to get a 4.8GB m2t on my PS3 and it plays fine. Whether the file is split on the drive I'm not sure, but it plays.

Since this is a major update, I best do it when it comes out.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Trustee

I don’t have any WMV and DivX files that are over 2 gigs so that fix doesn’t affect me but there are still DivX files that are incompatible and I’m hoping this update fixes that as well. How can the PS3 be DivX certified when it’s not compatible with all DivX files?

The PS3 can already steam videos for Google Video and YouTube but it appears that 2.20 would have made streaming files from Stage6 possible. They should have fixed that before the disappearance of Stage6 not after!

At least in the bright side, this update proves that all PS3s are upgradeable to Profile 2.0.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Just curious: Is DTS-HD supported on the PS3?
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Won't the PS3 recognize AVCHD in an M2T file?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Just curious: Is DTS-HD supported on the PS3?
DTS-HD Master Audio is still not supported, but the DTS "Core" at 1.5 Mbps is. Multiple sources, alleged to be reliable "insiders," say that Sony and DTS are working on the decoding software and that it should be released in a future firmware update "soon." It'll be handled the same as Dolby TrueHD: decoded in the PS3 and sent out as multichannel PCM, since the HDMI chip in the PS3 is apparently incapable of bitstreaming HD audio codecs.

All of this is second-hand. I make no claims to any special expertise on the PS3. I'm just a very satisfied owner, who'll be even more satisfied when the DTS-HD MA codec is supported.
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Yeah, it's a bit of a issue, PCM 7.1 or DTS-HD... Some go one way while others go the other. Hopefully PCM 7.1 would become standard soon.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #10
Trustee

Here’s a good article on what’s in store for the PS3’s media capabilities.

Original Japanese:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0403/rt057.htm

English Translated:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...03%2Frt057.htm

This site really needs to hire an English translator.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News