DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   News posts from 2003 Q4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/12419-news-posts-2003-q4.html)

John Locke July 24th, 2003 07:43 PM

News posts from 2003 Q4

If I understand correctly, this festival is open to all...you don't necessarily have to shoot with a JVC camera:
Quote:

Victor video festival taking entries

Victor Co. of Japan is now accepting entries from Japan and abroad for the 26th JVC Tokyo Video Festival for 2004. The deadline is Oct. 10.

All subject matter is acceptable. Entrants are encouraged to submit works that express their thoughts and opinions or those that explore new ways to use the medium of video.

All compositions must be made by video camcorder in the mini DV, S-VHS or VHS D-VHS formats and be no more than 20 minutes long.

The Video Grand Prize, awarded to one person, is 500,000 yen, and includes a round-trip ticket to Japan for the awards ceremony. The JVC Grand Prize is 400,000 yen and a round-trip ticket. The Excellence Awards, which will be given to 30 works, include a cash prize of 100,000 yen.

The awards ceremony will take place Feb. 14 in Tokyo.

Entries must be submitted to: Tokyo Video Festival Office, 1-7-1 Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0004, Japan. Inquiries about the festival can be made at 81-(0)3-3289-2815 or by e-mail at jvc-tvf1@mb.kcom.ne.jp.

The application guidelines can be viewed in English at www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/tvf/index-e.html.

The Japan Times: July 25, 2003

Jonathan Wells September 13th, 2003 04:04 PM

RESFEST Digital Film Festival

RESFEST 2003
The seventh annual RESFEST kicks-off on Thursday Sept. 18th in San Francisco before embarking on a world tour that includes stops in LA, New York, London, Cape Town, Tokyo, Seoul and Melbourne. Come enjoy an event jam-packed with over 100 of the year's most inventive and inspiring short films, music videos and animation.

This year's lineup is the biggest yet with five thematic shorts programs, two music video programs, a program of rare and unseen work from SPIKE JONZE, the U.S. Premiere of Daft Punk's anime musical INTERSTELLA 5555, Studios Tours of leading design and film production companies, free DV filmmaking classes from APPLE, CANON and DISCREET; a retrospective of the work of visionary filmmaker MICHEL GONDRY renowned for his work with Bjork and live music events featuring Amon Tobin, RJD2, LCD Soundsystem and TINOCORP.

RESFEST 2003 TOUR DATES
San Francisco - September 18-21 - Palace of Fine Arts
Los Angeles - September 24-28 - Egyptian Theater
Washington D.C. - October 3-5 - Grosvenor Auditorium at National Geographic
New York City - October 9-12 - Bowery Ballroom/Tribeca Performing Arts Ctr.
Chicago - November 7-9 - Museum of Contemporary Art

International dates include Toronto, Barcelona, Bristol, Cape Town, Seoul, London, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Melbourne and more.

http://www.resfest.com

Ken Tanaka September 13th, 2003 04:34 PM

Thanks for that note, Jonathan. I think many of our members will be able to take advantage of one of these local events (including me!).

Mike Zorger September 22nd, 2003 09:46 AM

say i wanted to submit some of my work for the festival how would i do that???

Rik Sanchez September 22nd, 2003 10:12 AM

I think the earliest you can submit stuff will be May of 2004. This year the submission period was may/june. There isn't a submit link on the website www.resfest.com so keep checking the website to see when they start taking applications.

I've been going to Resfest for the last two years, looking forward to this year's program.

Mike Zorger September 22nd, 2003 01:27 PM

Can anyone just submit there short film? Does anyone know how much it costs?

Rik Sanchez September 22nd, 2003 07:39 PM

Anyone can submit a film, it costs $20 per submission if you submit by the early deadline, $25 if you submit during the late period. Checks, money orders or PAY PAL are accepted.

You can submit your application electronically, you'll be given an ID number and you put that number on your tape and send the tape in. The will notify people who got into the festival by August.

At least that's how they did it this year. A friend and I made a short film and submitted it but it didn't get in. I also made an erotic short but it didn't get in either, last year they had an erotic shorts category but this year they didn't have the In the Bedroom section. Gonna submit again next year. Good luck with your submission.

BTW, RESFEST will in Osaka December 5,6, & 7 at Namba Hatch.

Ken Tanaka September 29th, 2003 10:54 AM

Panasonic Digital Filmmakers Grants

Panasonic has announced an interesting grant program that will allow winning contestants to use a AG-SDX900, Final Cut Pro 4 (on G5), et.al. to shoot a feature or documentary.

I could not yet find details on the Panasonic site, but here is the news item on MacCentral.

Note that the application deadline for the first grant is listed as December 31, 2003.

Imran Zaidi September 29th, 2003 11:45 AM

Cool!

It sez on the Pana site that Abel CineTech is handling the grant. If you go to their home page, it gives more info.

http://www.abelcine.com/

Mark Kubat September 29th, 2003 11:04 PM

Canon GL2 fire-sale here in Canada - something new coming?

Hi folks. The GL2 has just had a 30% price reduction across the board here among various top dealers in Canada - anything like this happening down south? could a new 3-chip be avail. soon?

Frank Granovski September 29th, 2003 11:58 PM

The USA had a $250 rebate for the longest time. Canon seems to drop prices big time when they have someting new in the works, unlike Sony. 30% is a whopper, though. :)

Aldo Erdic September 30th, 2003 10:50 AM

One significant factor for the price drop is the increased value of the Canadian dollar relative to the US dollar. One year ago around this time, $100 Cdn dollars were worth $63 US dollars. Today $100 Cdn dollars would get you $74 US dollars, which is an increase of 17 percent. So the savings for Canadian shoppers on a US $2500 camera work out to $575 Cdn ($425 US), based on today's exchange rate.

Pedar Gilley October 1st, 2003 07:55 PM

XL1-s used selling for 2000k

All summer the used XL1 market held in the 2500 and Xl1-s around 3000k.
suddenly around October 1st private sales of the XL!-s where bringing in only 2000k. Canon dealers dropped to 2995.00 new in box in some cases or rolled in a bunch of accesories for 3995.00 they did not seam to make sales however. Something is up,
probably Mortgage, the property tax bill hit this month and people had to pay alot for their heating oil. It's that time of year. I do not know and canon says they do not know of any changes to either model or major new technology
I am in tech sales and have asked around. The Mac G5 is out but not expected in a powerbook for several years as it is to big and runs to hot
However new powerbooks released with g4's.

Marco Leavitt October 2nd, 2003 07:02 AM

I had a devil of a time finding the details at Panasonic's site (what's up with that?), but it's there. Try this link:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...akersGrant.pdf

Francesco Marano October 4th, 2003 01:44 PM

hdv news

Hi

http://www.hdv-info.org/

this is the new official hdv site.

Ciao

Francesco

Rob Lohman October 5th, 2003 04:10 PM

There not visiting The Netherlands (as usual).... Too bad.

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2003 07:21 AM

Indeed it is... Sony owns that domain name... too bad hdv-info.com and .net weren't available.

;-)

Ignacio Rodriguez October 6th, 2003 09:25 AM

Jejejej

Yes. But at least I got hdv.cl :-)

Chris Hurd October 7th, 2003 06:18 AM

RocketClips Press Release: New Video Collections

Thought I'd share a press release that was forwarded to me:

ROCKETCLIPS RELEASES FOUR NEW VIDEO COLLECTIONS

Stock Footage Supplier Captures Adventure Sports Up Close and Personal

Long Beach, California (October 7, 2003) -- Rocketclips, a leading
web-based, royalty-free stock footage supplier, expands its outdoor category to include adventure sports titles. The newly released 20-video clip collections are "Adventure Kayaking", "Adventure Climbing", "Adventure Biking", and "Adventure Sports." This introduction brings Rocketclips' library of people and lifestyle clips to nearly 3,000.

Producing some of the best quality imagery in the stock footage industry today, Rocketclips is leading a trend by utilizing released talent and shooting digital video with film-like production values. Created with broadcast usage in mind, the Adventure Sports Collections are suitable for many purposes -- from television commercials to web-based advertising.

"By shooting our own footage, we create each scene and scenario with our customers in mind," explains Rocketclips founder, Mark Adams. "Our adventure titles capture the adrenalin of the moment which a savvy editor can easily translate into a compelling commercial."

Every clip in the Rocketclips library can be viewed, purchased, and
downloaded online, anytime day or night. Reflecting its commitment to providing inexpensive options for web-based usage, multimedia clips are only $25.00. For usages where the highest quality is required, full resolution DV NTSC clips are $150.00. All CD-ROM collections with 18-20 clips are full resolution DV NTSC and priced at $500.00 each.

Based in Long Beach, California, Rocketclips is a leader in the emerging royalty-free stock footage marketplace, providing a "new school" approach to viewing and purchasing video clips on the web. Footage is available 24 hours a day as downloadable clips, or overnight on CD-ROM, Mini DV or BETA tape.

For more information on Rocketclips or its products, media professionals can log onto www.rocketclips.com.

Mike Zorger October 9th, 2003 06:12 AM

So these cams arne't coming out for a long time are they?

Chris Hurd October 9th, 2003 07:25 AM

Sometime next year, I'll bet. Should be an exciting NAB.

Martin Munthe October 9th, 2003 03:37 PM

XDCAM anyone?

Sonys new XDCAM records both IMX and DVCAM to DVD using blue laser. It's completely non linear with loads of cool metadata possibilities.

Does anyone know anything of price ranges on these babys?

http://pro.sony.com.hk/pr20030826h.html

Ignacio Rodriguez October 11th, 2003 01:36 AM

Must be sooner than next NAB I think

Do you really think they will let JVC lead the crowd for so long? I don't think that is a good idea for Sony, Canon... it just would not make sense... If they are not carefull JVC will do it again with a 3CCD HDV and that would be a tough blow to beat.

I'll bet both Sony and Canon are running HDV encoding cams right now in the labs.

Canon could really blow everybody away if they make an HDV cam with a 35mm-like CCD and interchangeable lenses... imagine being able to use EOS wide angles for digital stills, DV and HDV... that would be everybody's next cam.

Sony can't do such a thing because they would kill their broadcast line too fast. Canon has no such problem.

Steven-Marc Couchouron October 11th, 2003 03:31 AM

PDW510- Optical Disc Camcorder with DVCAM Recording
$19,900.00

PDW530- Optical Disc Camcorder with MPEG IMX/DVCAM Recording
$34,000.00

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...&sm=0&s=&cpos=

The discs themselves are going to cost between €25-30 per disc.

Here is the link to the XDCAM format homepage with some interesting info:
http://www.sonybiz.net/xdcam

Not exactly cheap. The Panasonic AJ-SDX900 with the new FireWire connectivity and native editing DVCPRO-50 seems more appealing...

Steven-Marc Couchouron October 11th, 2003 03:47 AM

Color Finesse 1.1 available for Mac AND Windows

Synthetic Aperture has jsut released the new version of it's excellent Color Finesse plugin.

This new version is now available for Windows 2000 and XP, and works with After Effects, Premiere Pro and Combustion (and FCP on MacOS).

There is a demo download if you like to check it out. It is considered by many to be one of the best tools available for color correcting and creating that "special look" (see the examples on the website).

Full version costs $595.

www.synthetic-ap.com

Zac Stein October 11th, 2003 06:37 AM

You say native editing dvcpro-50, what can natively edit that?

I use vegas video, can i just capture and edit dvcpro-50 without addition hardware or codecs?

Zac

Chris Hurd October 11th, 2003 08:30 AM

Actually though, Canon supplies the leading market share of broadcast video lenses (including high-def) to that high-end arena, so yes they do have that problem. They could hurt their own sales much the same as Sony.

Steven-Marc Couchouron October 11th, 2003 08:42 AM

I believe currently only FCP 4 can capture and print to tape DVCPRO-50 thru FireWire.

You can however use the Matrox (free) DVCRO-50 codecs to read/write DVCPRO-50 files in Vegas.

http://www.matrox.com/video/support/...codec/home.cfm

Ignacio Rodriguez October 11th, 2003 08:58 AM

Oh but I understand 25 Mbps MPEG2 is no match for HDCAM, DVCPROHD, D-9HD and even less for HD-D5 and CineAlta, so there would continue to be a market for high end lenses, cameras and media... similar to the way there is market today for Digital Betacam, D1, DVCPRO50, despite DV. However much we get to like HDV, it will allways be poor man's HD in the light of other formats with higher bandwidth, resolution, frame rate and better color sampling.

I just feel that Canon might have less to lose with (no high end ENG cams) and more on which to build (XL1) a pro HDV product with interchangeable lenses. Especially if they go for a non-Sony CCD.

Actually the more I think about it, the more sense it makes even for Sony and JVC to go HDV. HDV is crippled, it has a very high compression ratio, it does not have full HD resolution, the MPEG2 that comes out of the JVC HD10 doesn't even have time code, so it is no match for real pro HD. Much less so than DV compared to analog pro formats that were (and in some places still are) commonplace like Betacam SP. So in the 'worst' case scenario (from manufacterers point of view), an interchangeable lens HDV cam with a 35mm CCD might totally cannibalize SD aquisition, but not HD.

Daniel Broadway October 12th, 2003 03:31 PM

Sony VX-2100 is here.

I didn't know if you guys knew this or not, but the Sony VX-2100 is here. It reaplaces the 2000.

Here is some more info...

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...t-10_07_03.htm

Frank Granovski October 12th, 2003 06:25 PM

I haven't seen it displayed in any cam shops yet. It's not out yet, as far as I know. Christmas maybe?

Daniel Broadway October 12th, 2003 07:23 PM

Yeah, it's supposed to be out in December.

Chris Hurd October 12th, 2003 07:39 PM

Yes, we have several threads on it already; I posted about it back on the day it was announced (see this thread). We'll have pro user reviews online here at DV Info Net as they become available,

Glenn Gipson October 13th, 2003 07:13 AM

>>Yeah, it's supposed to be out in December.<<

NAB would only be 3 months away from this date, Sony had better hope that no one comes out with a better camera by then (even though I think this cam is inferior to the DVX 100 as it is.)

Martin Munthe October 13th, 2003 01:15 PM

Thanks for the info! :)

Margus Kivilaan October 16th, 2003 08:04 AM

>Not exactly cheap. The Panasonic AJ-SDX900 with the new FireWire connectivity and native editing DVCPRO-50 seems more appealing...

yes, but Sony uses very high-level camera part on these camcorders. At IBC they sayd that cheaper models are in work, as also HD version of XDCAM.

Margus

Victor Panero October 16th, 2003 05:57 PM

Perfect timing! TokyoVideoFestival

Thanks for the "heads-up". Originally a 40 min. program from 2001, I cut it to 18 minutes and just made the entry deadline.

It was filmed over several months chronicling the Miyazaki Jc's efforts to plan and execute a Beach festival and stimulate the economy of local beach community. Human interest, in Japanese. There is no online version but if it gets accepted then please take a look. Did you enter any programs?

Thanks, Vic

Victor Muh October 16th, 2003 06:26 PM

Damn! I missed the deadline.

This festival had my name all over it, too!

Can we get a special festival/contest section going?

Michael Wisniewski October 20th, 2003 04:46 PM

The ultimate screen saver

If you're in New York, check out the SonicVision exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History.

It's basically a super high-tech version of the screen savers that pulse to music on your PC - except they're projecting the whole thing onto a planetarium dome at 180 degrees - with professional production video and sound quality.

Imran Zaidi October 21st, 2003 09:53 AM

Matrox Introduces Quad Display Video Card

Interesting stuff. I'm afraid to find out the cost.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/qid/home.cfm