News posts from 2003 Q4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 24th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

News posts from 2003 Q4

If I understand correctly, this festival is open to all...you don't necessarily have to shoot with a JVC camera:
Quote:
Victor video festival taking entries

Victor Co. of Japan is now accepting entries from Japan and abroad for the 26th JVC Tokyo Video Festival for 2004. The deadline is Oct. 10.

All subject matter is acceptable. Entrants are encouraged to submit works that express their thoughts and opinions or those that explore new ways to use the medium of video.

All compositions must be made by video camcorder in the mini DV, S-VHS or VHS D-VHS formats and be no more than 20 minutes long.

The Video Grand Prize, awarded to one person, is 500,000 yen, and includes a round-trip ticket to Japan for the awards ceremony. The JVC Grand Prize is 400,000 yen and a round-trip ticket. The Excellence Awards, which will be given to 30 works, include a cash prize of 100,000 yen.

The awards ceremony will take place Feb. 14 in Tokyo.

Entries must be submitted to: Tokyo Video Festival Office, 1-7-1 Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0004, Japan. Inquiries about the festival can be made at 81-(0)3-3289-2815 or by e-mail at jvc-tvf1@mb.kcom.ne.jp.

The application guidelines can be viewed in English at www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/tvf/index-e.html.

The Japan Times: July 25, 2003
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #2
Tourist

RESFEST Digital Film Festival

RESFEST 2003
The seventh annual RESFEST kicks-off on Thursday Sept. 18th in San Francisco before embarking on a world tour that includes stops in LA, New York, London, Cape Town, Tokyo, Seoul and Melbourne. Come enjoy an event jam-packed with over 100 of the year's most inventive and inspiring short films, music videos and animation.

This year's lineup is the biggest yet with five thematic shorts programs, two music video programs, a program of rare and unseen work from SPIKE JONZE, the U.S. Premiere of Daft Punk's anime musical INTERSTELLA 5555, Studios Tours of leading design and film production companies, free DV filmmaking classes from APPLE, CANON and DISCREET; a retrospective of the work of visionary filmmaker MICHEL GONDRY renowned for his work with Bjork and live music events featuring Amon Tobin, RJD2, LCD Soundsystem and TINOCORP.

RESFEST 2003 TOUR DATES
San Francisco - September 18-21 - Palace of Fine Arts
Los Angeles - September 24-28 - Egyptian Theater
Washington D.C. - October 3-5 - Grosvenor Auditorium at National Geographic
New York City - October 9-12 - Bowery Ballroom/Tribeca Performing Arts Ctr.
Chicago - November 7-9 - Museum of Contemporary Art

International dates include Toronto, Barcelona, Bristol, Cape Town, Seoul, London, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Melbourne and more.

http://www.resfest.com
Jonathan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #3

Thanks for that note, Jonathan. I think many of our members will be able to take advantage of one of these local events (including me!).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

say i wanted to submit some of my work for the festival how would i do that???
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:12 AM   #5
ChorizoSmells

I think the earliest you can submit stuff will be May of 2004. This year the submission period was may/june. There isn't a submit link on the website www.resfest.com so keep checking the website to see when they start taking applications.

I've been going to Resfest for the last two years, looking forward to this year's program.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Can anyone just submit there short film? Does anyone know how much it costs?
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:39 PM   #7
ChorizoSmells

Anyone can submit a film, it costs $20 per submission if you submit by the early deadline, $25 if you submit during the late period. Checks, money orders or PAY PAL are accepted.

You can submit your application electronically, you'll be given an ID number and you put that number on your tape and send the tape in. The will notify people who got into the festival by August.

At least that's how they did it this year. A friend and I made a short film and submitted it but it didn't get in. I also made an erotic short but it didn't get in either, last year they had an erotic shorts category but this year they didn't have the In the Bedroom section. Gonna submit again next year. Good luck with your submission.

BTW, RESFEST will in Osaka December 5,6, & 7 at Namba Hatch.
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #8

Panasonic Digital Filmmakers Grants

Panasonic has announced an interesting grant program that will allow winning contestants to use a AG-SDX900, Final Cut Pro 4 (on G5), et.al. to shoot a feature or documentary.

I could not yet find details on the Panasonic site, but here is the news item on MacCentral.

Note that the application deadline for the first grant is listed as December 31, 2003.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #9
Trustee

Cool!

It sez on the Pana site that Abel CineTech is handling the grant. If you go to their home page, it gives more info.

http://www.abelcine.com/
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Canon GL2 fire-sale here in Canada - something new coming?

Hi folks. The GL2 has just had a 30% price reduction across the board here among various top dealers in Canada - anything like this happening down south? could a new 3-chip be avail. soon?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #11
Outer Circle

The USA had a $250 rebate for the longest time. Canon seems to drop prices big time when they have someting new in the works, unlike Sony. 30% is a whopper, though. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

One significant factor for the price drop is the increased value of the Canadian dollar relative to the US dollar. One year ago around this time, $100 Cdn dollars were worth $63 US dollars. Today $100 Cdn dollars would get you $74 US dollars, which is an increase of 17 percent. So the savings for Canadian shoppers on a US $2500 camera work out to $575 Cdn ($425 US), based on today's exchange rate.
Aldo Erdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:55 PM   #13
New Boot

XL1-s used selling for 2000k

All summer the used XL1 market held in the 2500 and Xl1-s around 3000k.
suddenly around October 1st private sales of the XL!-s where bringing in only 2000k. Canon dealers dropped to 2995.00 new in box in some cases or rolled in a bunch of accesories for 3995.00 they did not seam to make sales however. Something is up,
probably Mortgage, the property tax bill hit this month and people had to pay alot for their heating oil. It's that time of year. I do not know and canon says they do not know of any changes to either model or major new technology
I am in tech sales and have asked around. The Mac G5 is out but not expected in a powerbook for several years as it is to big and runs to hot
However new powerbooks released with g4's.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:02 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I had a devil of a time finding the details at Panasonic's site (what's up with that?), but it's there. Try this link:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...akersGrant.pdf
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #15
Contributor

hdv news

Hi

http://www.hdv-info.org/

this is the new official hdv site.

Ciao

Francesco
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News