Sony's Networked Future at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Wrangler

Sony's Networked Future

Sony has announced a new strategy of providing internet connectivity for all their devices, including TV's, which would allow them to access and purchase content from their own service. Seems like a pretty risky strategy to me...

http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/27/son..._0626sony.html

Quote:
The company aims to have virtually all its electronic products networked and Wi-Fi capable by March 2011.

Sony said it will start rolling out its new video services to the PlayStation 3 game console this summer. Over the next three years, the company plans to distribute the content to a host of consumer electronic devices, including computers and its line of BRAVIA LCD TVs, and later to mobile phones and portable video players.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Major Player

On the other hand, a number of people on this forum have stated the opinion that Internet digital distribution is the way the market is headed vs. Blu-Ray (physical) disk distribution.

Sony may see itself as having no choice, risky or not.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
On the other hand, a number of people on this forum have stated the opinion that Internet digital distribution is the way the market is headed vs. Blu-Ray (physical) disk distribution.
Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. What I question is the consumer's willingness to pay more for a Sony TV set because it includes hardware which allows you to access their proprietary online download service. Sony just doesn't have a track record of getting that right.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

This is already happening. Microsoft has the Xbox Live Marketplace where whole TV Episodes can be downloaded like iTunes and Sony doing the same to the PlayStation Network is just a matter of time before it happens.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. What I question is the consumer's willingness to pay more for a Sony TV set because it includes hardware which allows you to access their proprietary online download service. Sony just doesn't have a track record of getting that right.
Well they figured out Blu-Ray, so maybe they're learning.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News