DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Wireless electricity! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/128506-wireless-electricity.html)

Gabe Strong August 22nd, 2008 12:18 PM

Wireless electricity!

WOW! Check this out!

Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system - Yahoo! News

I know it's not technically video related but we use laptops to edit video....well a lot of us do anyways. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Ethan Cooper August 22nd, 2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

"The trick with wireless power is not can you do it; it's can you do it safely and efficiently,"
I question both of those. I'm sure it's currently (teehee) less efficient than using a wired connection, and how many more wireless signals, beams, wavelengths, whatever do we need flying through our air? I'm sure all this wireless stuff can't be good for us. I say this as I sit in front of my 24" monitor that is blasting electrons at my face.

Can't wait till people begin hacking wireless power sources.

Shawn Kessler August 22nd, 2008 12:56 PM

wireless power

wow sounds great but I still think it will be awhile before we see it in the common market place. Ya the possibility's are endless with it.

shawn

Dylan Couper August 22nd, 2008 02:31 PM

It's about time...

Next up: powdered water!

Robert Huber August 22nd, 2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 923586)
It's about time...

Yep! Just add.. er... ummm... damn!

Wayne Morellini August 23rd, 2008 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 923586)
It's about time...

Yes, called snow ;) .

The technology (what little I can tell) looks old. I own devices that already use magnetic fields to recharge, and there is wireless interfaces that works this way, how safe they are, well. To a certain extent I think everything is magnetic, even if it is so small as not to overcome gravity and effect the weight of an object on a kitchen scale. But you still are going to be jostling something back and forwards. There are even better techniques that have come up in the labs in recent years.

I find the statement about electric fields and magnetic fields (electricity forms electromagnetic fields) so I wonder if there is a deep trick to forming the magnetic fields.

Jarrod Whaley August 24th, 2008 01:26 AM

Didn't Tesla demonstrate the viability of wireless energy transfer like, 100 years ago only to be marginalized by individuals and corporations (Edison and Westinghouse, mainly) with a vested interest in running lines?

Wardenclyffe Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barry Smith August 24th, 2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley (Post 924111)
Didn't Tesla demonstrate the viability of wireless energy transfer like, 100 years ago only to be marginalized by individuals and corporations (Edison and Westinghouse, mainly) with a vested interest in running lines?

Humans are not affected by magnetic fields ? Hmmmm ..... there is a lot of iron in blood and in some nerve cells. I think they have not done enough homework or perhaps the system comes with its own supply of folate and GPS navigation.

Bob Hart August 24th, 2008 05:31 AM

Radio-frequency transmissions, the television you enjoy, radio, cellphones etc., are wireless transmissions of energy which happen to have been deliberately modulated to convey an intelligent signal.

As a means of reticulating power, it is not so practical. For instance, how do you stop people from simply harvesting the available power without paying?

Jim Boda August 24th, 2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Smith (Post 924129)
Humans are not affected by magnetic fields ? Hmmmm ..... there is a lot of iron in blood and in some nerve cells. I think they have not done enough homework or perhaps the system comes with its own supply of folate and GPS navigation.

Our entire planet is a magnetic field. DC power is much safer health wise than an AC powered magnetic field. It will be interesting to read more about the details of this wireless system.

John Miller August 24th, 2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Smith (Post 924129)

Those sources of iron aren't magnetic just like stainless steel isn't magnetic though containing typically >70% iron. If haemoglobin were magnetic, it would create all kinds of problems for patients having MRI scans!

In the Yahoo! article it says:

"Electricity was sent wirelessly to a lamp on stage, lighting a 60 watt bulb that uses more power than a typical laptop computer."

I'd like to know what kind of bulb. If it is a modern compact fluorescent then it has been done before. People have demonstrated that full size fluorescent tubes can operate without a wired connection.

I'm also wary of articles that can't get the most trivial science correct:

"It turns out the human body is not affected by magnetic fields; it is affected by elective fields."

Elective? So it can vote?

Jim Boda August 24th, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Miller (Post 924236)
...I'd like to know what kind of bulb. If it is a modern compact fluorescent then it has been done before. People have demonstrated that full size fluorescent tubes can operate without a wired connection...

Looks like a standard light bulb.... Intel: Laptops could get power wirelessly > News > PC Authority

It's definitely been done before. It's not new technology. However, Intel seems to be able to get more efficiency out of the process. Yet, they are still losing 25% of the energy. It definitly looks like a short range system.

John Miller August 24th, 2008 12:07 PM

Just a thought to ponder...

All AC powered devices (that use transformers) are effectively wireless.

Greg Boston August 24th, 2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Miller (Post 924236)
just like stainless steel isn't magnetic though containing typically >70% iron.

Really? Then why did I used to have such a hard time prying the magnet packs from our aluminum sputtering machines off the stainless steel tables in the wafer fab. It was one of the favorite practical jokes from a fellow tech.

-gb-

Peter Moretti August 25th, 2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 924157)
Radio-frequency transmissions, the television you enjoy, radio, cellphones etc., are wireless transmissions of energy which happen to have been deliberately modulated to convey an intelligent signal.

As a means of reticulating power, it is not so practical. For instance, how do you stop people from simply harvesting the available power without paying?

You're essentially talking about "solar energy" for non-visible, man-made light.