DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   MRC1K for CF I only or CF ii as well? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/138070-mrc1k-cf-i-only-cf-ii-well.html)

Peter Kraft November 19th, 2008 01:48 PM

MRC1K for CF I only or CF ii as well?

I wonder if the Sony HVR-MRC1K accepts only CF 1 Compact Flash Cards (3 mm thick)
or if the slightly thicker CF II Compact Flash Cards (5 mm thick) can be used too.
Any information on that?

P.

Bill Koehler November 19th, 2008 10:43 PM

From Wikipedia:

CompactFlash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Type I and Type II
The only difference between the two types is that the Type II devices are 5 mm thick while Type I devices are 3.3 mm thick.[9] The vast majority of all Type II devices are Microdrives and other miniature hard drives. Flash based Type II devices are rare but a few examples do exist.[10][11] Even the largest capacity cards commonly available are Type I cards. Most card readers will read both formats, with the exception of some early CF based cameras or poorer quality USB card readers where the slot is too small."

From me:
I don't think it would occur to me to try sticking in a Microdrive.
Try it and let us know.

I did read through the manual. Sony gives no specs. about physical dimensions of the CF cards. They do specify the following:

CompactFlash of 133x speed or higher.
CompactFlash of 2 GB or larger.
When using CompactFlash for the first time, format with this unit.

Peter Kraft November 20th, 2008 02:08 AM

Just asking the question to someone who owns a MRC1K already.
I would not stick a Type II card into it just for fun.
Background is, that there are SDHC > CF adapters that are pretty cheap.
They accept SDHC cards which tend to be cheaper than CF media.

So why not take the SDHC > CF adapter card if it fits into
the MRC1K and feed it with cheap SDHC cards?

Gary Nattrass November 20th, 2008 03:05 AM

I have two of these on my S270 and Z7 cameras.

They are great units and I am using Trancend 16gb CF cards like these as standard:16GB Transcend 133x CF Card Compact Fast Flash Memory on eBay, also, Digital Camera Memory Cards, Photography (end time 17-Dec-08 22:42:20 GMT)

These are type 1 cards and looking at the slot in the drive I dont think a type 2 will fit as the type 1 are the right size for the drive.

Hope this helps.

Peter Kraft November 20th, 2008 07:30 AM

Thanks Gary,
I'll buy that recorder anyway. Just thought to use a SDHC > CF card adapter for not
having so many different solid state cards flying around :-) Oh well, why did Sony
not choose to use SDHC cards?

P.

Bill Koehler November 20th, 2008 01:52 PM

Thanks to CompactFlashes larger size, at any given point in time it comes in a 2x larger capacity size than any of its competitors.

And it's not just Sony.
Canon uses CompactFlash in a whole mess of their cameras,
from point-n-shoots going up to and including the new Canon 5D Mark II.

Gary Nattrass November 20th, 2008 03:30 PM

I am very happy with CF as my Nikon D300 camera loves the Sony 300X 8 gig cards as I dont use them with the S270 or Z7.

The Transcend 16gb 133x cards are superb and i have a very good workflow thru Clipwrap to final cut pro.

Its almost getting to where the tape just goes straight on the shelf and never gets used.

Peter Kraft November 30th, 2008 10:35 AM

Thx Gary and company. P.