YouTube now supports high definition video - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 19th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #91
Major Player

Youtube still has 10min time limit.
Since you mentioned Vimeo - I think the best advantage of Vimeo is the community and the quality of material. I've seen many really great films on Vimeo, very few on Youtube - if they are there, they're burried in garbage.
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #92
Major Player

right after youtube finished maintenance yesterday it worked fine for the rest of the night. All videos loading fast... today... right back to the stand still.. LOL
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #93
Inner Circle

Good to hear you're getting good playback again on YouTube.

The thing about Vimeo, although I love the community that's not significant to the people I show my uploaded video to. I'm not targeting the Vimeo community, I'm targeting clients, potential clients, showing work of artistic merit to people outside the Vimeo community.

After hearing those people respond with "It looks jittery, is it the way you shot it?" That's NOT what I want to present to the outside world. Not only does YouTube play back in the native frame rate of the uploaded file, it now plays at 1280x720 frame size.

People complain about the comments on YouTube but you can put any video comment area on moderate or completely off.

I do like the fact that Vimeo has password protection as some people I shoot for want to have control over who sees it. I also like the ability to download the source since, in some cases, I want the video to be available as a source for others. And yes, I like the fact that you can upload more than 10 minutes.

So for those features I'll put a specific video up an Vimeo as long as it's no more than 1 HD video a week. Everything else can go on YouTube.

Certainly if I want peer response I can put something on Vimeo but it becomes a very closed community if that's the primary purpose. If I need to show good 720p30 video to the public, YouTube seems better.

Keep in mind ExposureRoom doesn't have a 10 minute limit and also has password protection and there's no GB per week limit either. Who knows what their business model is though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News