DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Videoguys NLE Storage FAQ (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/142055-videoguys-nle-storage-faq.html)

Gary Bettan January 21st, 2009 04:11 PM

Videoguys NLE Storage FAQ

One of the most confusing things about digital video editing is the storage requirement. In this article the Videoguys Techs will help you better understand just what kind of storage you’ll need for your video productions. Mac or PC based video editors face the same storage challenges and questions, and we’ve got the straight forward answers you need!

This artilce is broken into 3 sections:

1. Top 5 Storage Rules
2. NLE Storage FAQ
3. Videoguys Storage Recommendations

Click here for Videoguys NLE Storage FAQ Videoguys Video Editing Storage FAQ

Gary

Adam Gold January 21st, 2009 04:29 PM

Good article, but you might want to update to reflect current prices. For the prices you quote for a 250GB drive, you can now get 1TB.

Gary Bettan January 22nd, 2009 08:33 AM

Great catch! I updated the sizes / prices when I started re-writing the article, but I forgot to put the new levels in the final draft I sent to the web team.

I've now updated it.

Gary

Nicholas de Kock January 22nd, 2009 12:11 PM

I would stay away from 1TB Seagate drives at the moment, some have a firmware bug that loses all your data and crashed entire drive however they are in the process of fixing it and offering free data recovery to everyone that lost data.

Gary Bettan January 22nd, 2009 12:20 PM

Nicholas - great advice and thanks for the warning. We've seen things like this before. I remember a really bad situation with 75GB IBM Deckstar drives back 5 years or so.

That hurt our industry tremendously. Almost every NLE integrator and workstation had switched over to them at the time.

Gary

Adam Gold January 22nd, 2009 01:33 PM

Here's a direct link to Seagate showing affected models for those interested:

Seagate Knowledge Base

Of course I have eight of them... <sigh>

Joe Busch January 23rd, 2009 01:41 AM

I have 10, but no problems so far.

I'm gonna upgrade the firmware in the next couple days, problem is the server they're in doesn't have a CD drive or a monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it, and you're supposed to burn a CD and boot to it.

Josh Chesarek January 23rd, 2009 09:32 AM

Don't get me started on those IBM deathstars I lost 6 ( 2 drives replaced 3 times)of them before I stopped getting them fixed and just moved to a new brand. As for the article it was a good read and recommendations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Bettan (Post 999082)
Nicholas - great advice and thanks for the warning. We've seen things like this before. I remember a really bad situation with 75GB IBM Deckstar drives back 5 years or so.

That hurt our industry tremendously. Almost every NLE integrator and workstation had switched over to them at the time.

Gary

John Palaganas January 23rd, 2009 10:21 AM

Nice, maybe you can add AVCHD on the video format comparisons?