Soderbergh using DVX100 on HBO's "K Street" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 9th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Soderbergh using DVX100 to do HBO's "K Street"

This is the rumor that's going around... first heard about it from Panasonic reps at the WEVA Expo in Vegas last month. Read about "K Street" here at HBO's site... I haven't been able to find an official source stating this is true, but the buzz going around is that a pair of DVX's were rented locally for the production. Just another instance of how entrenched DV is becoming within the heavier cable production channels...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, if this is true, and it looks like DVX 100 footage to me, then I guess he's not going to purposely trash the footage...so this should be more interesting then his last DV project.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

There's an article in the Washington Post at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Sep9.html with a photo showing "K Street" exec. producer George Clooney with a DVX100, so that's all the proof I need.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #4
Major Player

This is indirectly related to it.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...hbo/index.html
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Did they transfer this to film after? and when does it air??
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #6
New Boot

Why would a guy like Clooney rent a camera?
Humby Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #7
New Boot

I saw the show and was not impressed with the footage..One more reason to hold on to the 150..I'm confused about the hype of this camera but i'm just a run and gunner anyway...
Jamie Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Jamie, the image was purposely degraded. There are lots of exmaples of fine DVX100 footage. In fact, you can get a DVD from Promax that compares the DVX100 to the PD150. And guess which camera looks more "filmic"?
Old September 16th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #9
Major Player

"K Street" is supposed to be a political drama that is as close to live TV as you can get without being live. It will contain "current news topics" as subject material, written and shot in a 5 day time period, edited then transmitted to stations in two days. Some of the cameras will be mounted in cars, including taping of conversations between real people and the show's fictional characters (cool idea). Real politicians will also be involved in the stories. Hence, the need for small video cameras.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #10
New Boot

I havn't seen it yet so maybe I shoudn't comment but...

I thought this was going to be an awesome show (I love politics) til I read about the fictional elements of the show. Doesn't seem ethical to mix Hollywood and DC in that way.
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Tell that to Reagan, er JFK, er Arnold, er....

Well, you get the point.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #12
Trustee

I just saw it a few minutes ago. Looks like they mixed together footage from more than just the DVX. I saw some Canons and a PD as well as the DVXs. One thing is for sure though - it looks like they didn't attempt to maximize the quality. In standard Soderbergh fashion, he mucked up the footage a bit to give it an edgy extra-video feel.

As far as the hollywood intermingling with politics... It really did make me a bit uncomfortable. They're interweaving real politicians as high up as Dean with actors. Sometimes its hard to figure out if you've seen a face on the news or another show. Its aggravating to me because I'm trying to keep facts straight so I can make the right decision with the impending elections, and these guys are sort of muddling up facts with fiction.

Overall, it was boring! I usually get very into political shows, especially dealing with today's politics because I have a lot of thoughts on the subject. But to me this was just contrived and over-amped crud. Not at all up to par with HBO programming.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:14 AM   #13
New Boot

After watching the show last night I walked away very disappointed.

The production was crap. No color balance, weird angles, poor story telling, no real point...

I better understand their idea of adding actors to the mix. It's a situation where you don't know who is what and who is where. A"Trust no one" spin. Which is fine and dandy but not in the context of this show. It comes off as a documentary, as you watch it you believe it to be true. I don't think this is the place to do that. Politics are confusing by nature and this show only adds to the confusion. Politics are here to run the country, and not entertain us by running around guessing who the mole is like that ACB show.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #14
Trustee

My sentiments exactly. It's an irresponsible show, and really, with poor production values (beyond just trying to look 'reality'), and no story. Other than that, it's great ;)
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Looks like they mixed together footage from more than just the DVX. I saw some Canons and a PD as well as the DVXs. >>>

You could tell by watching the show EXACTLY what camera's they used?

Come on, now.
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News