DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Netflix raises cost for blu ray (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/147062-netflix-raises-cost-blu-ray.html)

Ray Bell March 31st, 2009 05:09 AM

Netflix raises cost for blu ray

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like Netflix is enjoying the economy... they just announced extra charges for Blu ray renters....

Khoi Pham March 31st, 2009 07:45 AM

Use BlockBuster instead, they are the one that turns the tide in the format war, I sign up with BlockBuster everysince they took the lead and announced to support Blu-ray and I have been extremely happy with their service, also great to have the in store exchange, nothing beats that.

Harrison Murchison March 31st, 2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1036421)
Use BlockBuster instead, they are the one that turns the tide in the format war, I sign up with BlockBuster everysince they took the lead and announced to support Blu-ray and I have been extremely happy with their service, also great to have the in store exchange, nothing beats that.

Blockbuster is barely in business. They really don't have many options.

Dave Blackhurst March 31st, 2009 01:21 PM

golly, the news made it sound like huge increases... BR discs cost 2-3x as much as regular DVD's to buy, why shouldn't Netflix charge a premium?? If I had a BR player (waiting for them to come down, seeing better prices, so it's an exercise in patience...), I'd probably pay the extra for the ability to get BR discs.

I hope that the news was at least accurate in sying that the price increase was due to high demand for BR discs - that would mean that BR burners should be coming down and it's a viable delivery format for Hi Def content. THAT would be a welcome shift!

Chris Hurd March 31st, 2009 01:52 PM

Here's what NetFlix sent out to their customers yesterday:

"You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 3 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $4 a month."

So what it boils down to is a $3/month rate increase. They used to charge $1 extra for Blu-Ray, now they're charging $4.

Robert Sanders March 31st, 2009 01:58 PM

I understand Netflix's need to stay on top of costs. But this announcement annoys me. They already raised my rates once. And to do it a second time shortly after the first is what pisses me off. I don't mind paying extra. But get on with it and then leave me alone for a while.

Jon Fairhurst March 31st, 2009 02:33 PM

Netflix seems to be one of the bright spots in the current economy. In the Feb 2 issue of Variety's VB (video business) newsweekly, they claimed that their 2008 Q4 profit was up 45% and than 700,000 subscribers had signed up for Blu-ray. The company was to re-purchase 10% of its stock.

* Net income from the quarter was $22.7M
* Sales rose 19% to $359.6M
* There were 9.39M subscribers at year's end - up 26% from the year before.

Burk Webb March 31st, 2009 05:09 PM

Kind of a bummer but Netflix is still a pretty good deal. The thing that really has me in Netflix corner is their on demand streaming content - it's free and I can stream it through my LG BD300 Blu Ray player. Most of it looks pretty "meh" but it's a great way to watch tons of stuff that you might not rent. Watched all of Red Dwarf, now I'm working my way through 30 rock. Great way to check out stuff quick as well.

It's a hell of a value add, and there is tons of it. I could probably spend 12 hours a day watching Netflix stuff and it's still only costing me around $15 a month.

Edit: well o.k., $20 bucks...

Heath McKnight April 3rd, 2009 01:41 PM

I was wondering why the billing was higher this month. Oh, well... Maybe I'll try Blockbuster, but I do like the option to watch movies online (though studios aren't digging that since it hurts DVD sales).

heath

Ray Bell April 3rd, 2009 04:21 PM

Well I switched on Blockbuster this afternoon... they have a two week free offer and
don't charge for blu ray... plus if i don't like the movie that was sent I can take it
down the the Blockbuster store and trade it for another one....

I'm also testing out the Vunow box that lets you stream movies and such from the internet.
It supports bit torrent so maybe it'll be a good deal.

Heath McKnight April 3rd, 2009 09:05 PM

VUDU is the best movie download device! VUDU - Home

heath

Tom Roper April 4th, 2009 08:35 PM

Back when Netflix increased Blu-ray by only $1 per month, it reminded me of a small stack of unreturned disks on top of my desk. I cleared my queue and sent them back, and then cancelled the account. It's not a knock against Netflix. Their service was great for someone like me who was profiled as an infrequent user, everything I wanted was always available now. But it bothered me that if I did use it more frequently, the service would go down, so I decided to end it, and used the timing of the first price increase to do it.

I have a better anecdote for Blockbuster. Years ago, I picked up the empty box for a copy of "Dark Blue" from the shelf that carried a sign, "Blockbuster In-Stock or It's Free" guarantee. At the counter, they told me that movie was not included in the guarantee, only certain movies. I asked them if that meant the guarantee was only for movies they have in stock? She smiled...I asked for a pair of scissors...and cut up my membership card right there. Eew.... In fact, that's when I joined Netflix. How ironic.

Heath McKnight April 4th, 2009 09:02 PM

I have two movies, Blu-ray (Let the Right One In, which I hear has issues with subtitles, and Sunshine) that have been in my possession for over a month now. Hmmm, time to watch and return them and consider canceling.

heath

Ray Bell April 5th, 2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1048606)
VUDU is the best movie download device! VUDU - Home

heath

Thanks Heath.... I went to Best Buy to check out the box and the quality of the picture...

Looks good.. went ahead and ordered one...

Sooner or later this looks like the direction that the movie rental biz is going to anyway...

Matt Vanecek April 5th, 2009 11:40 AM

NetFlix streaming is nice and all if you've the bandwidth, but it's great to be able to take a disc and go. There's a portable Blu-Ray player coming out in the not-to-distant future (if it's not out already--although I completely forget the link/company. :( ), and you can't take streaming on the road, and the office tends to frown on such use of bandwidth...

I love our PS3 playing Blu-Ray, as well as Streaming, and I keep reminding my wife to start ordering Blu-Ray titles from NetFlix if she's getting them for home. Unfortunately, she still won't let me buy the Planet Earth series--"it comes on TV way too often to buy it". blah blah blah...

Eventually, the price of Blu-ray will fall. Critical mass and all that. I doubt NetFlix will lower their fee in response (but it *could* happen), but it's still worth it for us. We haven't had any of the frequent user issues that some others have reported, although we do keep 3 out pretty much all the time.

I guess it all depends on what annoys you the most--NetFlix doesn't annoy me near as much as BlockBuster...I don't know why. *shrug*

Thanks,
Matt