DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   1 terabyte external drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/19859-1-terabyte-external-drive.html)

Federico Dib January 15th, 2004 11:19 AM

1 terabyte external drive

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10118

I just got an e-mail with this link... and wanted to share..

I just canīt imagine how long a full defrag, format would take, or what if the drive breaks down with your QUOTE: "two years of continuous music and up to one month of non-stop MPEG-2 video1."

I mean, all this space is really good, but it seems they are selling it as the "never-do-backups-again"?ŋ?...

J. Clayton Stansberry January 15th, 2004 11:26 AM

...if I only had $1200...wish wish wish...how long do you guys think it will be before this price will come down?

Patrick MCMurray January 16th, 2004 03:24 AM

firewire 800?

watt is that? nine-pin firewire? should i have a subscription to max-pc, instead of pop science and maxim?

Rob Lohman January 16th, 2004 05:30 AM

That's around 80 hours of storage space.... Would hate for that
drive to crash! Better back it up often on another 1TB drive.

Scott Anderson January 19th, 2004 02:29 PM

One thing I don't understand - whose hard drives are they using? Does Lacie make their own drives? I'm assuming the Big Disk is a single 5.5" 500 GB drive, and the Bigger Disk is 2 of the same. Would it be possible to format the the Bigger Disk as a 500GB Raid to get higher data transfer rates? Where can we find specs on the number of platters, read/write graphs, etc.? I'm certain one of the larger video magazines will do a writeup soon, but I'm impatient.

Rob Lohman January 20th, 2004 03:20 AM

They don't seem to want to give out any information regarding
which disks or how many. If there is more then 1 drive in there,
then it will probably be a striped RAID set.

9 pin firewire is for the new 800 mbit firewire standard. It also
has a "normal" 6 pin connector for hooking it up to old trusted
400 mbit firewire. It also has an USB connector.

Marcia Janine Galles January 28th, 2004 01:55 PM

I've always heard good things about LaCie drives, but has anybody ever heard anything to the contrary? A couple years ago somene told me to go Western Digital, and it was a lemon. Doesn't reliably sustain 7200 rpms, so I'm shopping around more extensively this time around. I'm tempted to go 2-250's as 1-500 makes me nervous, let alone the 1T as you guys have said. Talk about potential heartbreak under the gun.
Marcia

Paul Vlachos January 30th, 2004 10:25 AM

The LaCie 500 Big Disk is two 250s in one enclosure. The 400 is two 200s and the 320 is two 160s. From the form factor, it looks to me like the 1 Terrabyte drive is four 250s.

I own a few LaCies, but I like keeping it to the single drive in each enclosure, mainly in the interest of not keeping all my eggs in one basket. I've had hard drives fail in the past - all internal - but it can happen, and I'd rather lose 200 or 250 gigs than 500.

As always, it's important to back up everything.

Marcia Janine Galles January 30th, 2004 05:51 PM

Interesting Paul, and it clears up which I'm going to order. I've had drives fail when working in a pro bay, and it ain't much fun. I'm now a bit conservative that way, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Monte Merritt February 26th, 2004 01:05 PM

Sweet.
Too bad you have to use a computer - It'd be great to be able to capture directly to it from your camera. Does anyone know of such a device?

Rob Lohman February 27th, 2004 02:55 AM

A couple of those exist indeed Monte. We even have a special
forum here for one of them: Focus Enhancements FireStore

Then there is also one called the QuickStream.

Scott Anderson February 28th, 2004 09:29 AM

Update to Bigger Disk Coming - already.

Since this thread has moved back towards the top, I'll post an update that pertains to both the 500 and 1000Gb models.

I spoke with a Lacie sales rep Friday, who said the Lacie Big Disk Extreme (new product on the Lacie website) claims transfer rates up to 50% faster than the Big Disk. This is due to moving from the Oxford Semiconductor 922 chipset (usb 2 and firewire 800) to the 912 chipset (firewire 800 only). The price difference is only $30 for the new model.

Lacie says to expect a Bigger Disk Extreme in time for NAB (late April), so if the extra speed is going to be an issue and you don't need USB2, you may want to wait on that 1TB monster drive.

Marco Leavitt February 28th, 2004 10:35 AM

The latest issue of DV Magazine has a writeup on these drives by the way, although they don't actually review them.