Chris Hurd quoted in Videography Mag - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 5th, 2002, 03:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Count Me In

Sooooo much of my decision to purchase the XL1S was based upon information found within this site.

Keep up the great work Chris.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

Excuse me, but I am just curious. Did you get many responses to your campaign for Chris? Did he ever get what he deserved, a new Canon XL1s?

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Copy of an email I just sent to Steve Nunez for forwarding to Canon:

"Canon--Give Chris Hurd an XL1S! He provides you with a great service by providing technical support, at no charge to you, to many of your XL1S owners. Do the right thing, both for you and for him! Give him an XL1S!

Steve Clodfelter
sclodfelter@att.net"

Thanks, Chris! And thanks, Steve!
Old January 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I thought i'd give my 2 cents. I knew I wanted an xl1s after i borrowed one from my friend for a shoot i had. I don't know if i would have actually bought one unless i had found this site. It'd be coold if Canon sent Chris a camera for free. It'd be nice if they sent me one too but $3,200 is a SMALL price to pay for such a beautiful camera. look at the price JVC charges for the DV-500. I've used it and I like the xl1s a lot better. I think we've all made out like bandits haha
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Man, you guys certainly dug up an old thread. Canon USA did something better than giving me a camera... they occasionally invite me to work their trade show booths. These are wonderful opportunities to meet people, go places and stay up to date on the technology, plus it's an excellent crew to work with. I highly value the experience, to me it's worth much more than a camcorder. So fellows, you can call off the dogs... CUSA is taking good care of me with these trade show gigs... I only wish there were more of 'em! Many thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #21
Outer Circle

Canon should give Chris a XL1S and a GL2! Why just ask for the XL1s? Look at all the work Chris has done for Canon! If it were not for this site, people would be asking, "What's a XL1? What's a Canon?" +_+
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #22
ChorizoSmells

Come on Chris, you are being too humble, You are the Man! without you lots of us wouldn't have bought a Canon.

In a cool coincidence, while reading this thread, I just got a call from the Canon service center and my XL-1 is ready to be picked up, had it cleaned and tweaked(very noisy playback and bad mike sound), and hopefully, you will get a new(Canon, is a good condition USED-DEMO XL-1s too much to part with?) XL-1s
the same way I'm picking up my much loved XL-1, Free of charge.

A little off the subject, Canon Service Center rocks, got the drum assembly changed in 5 days, this time whatever they did took 7 days, that's from when I drop it off to when I pick it up, the service techs know how much our cameras mean to us, if THEY were in charge they'd give Chris an XL-1s.

BTW, what did Canon do with the 2 XL-1s that Soderberg used on his movie? I'm sure they didn't sell them, are they sitting on a shelf in some back room, did some showroom get two more demo models? If Canon can't part with a new XL-1s, then can they at least give Chris one of the XL-1s that Soderberg used, that would be cool. And while they are at it, just give him both, and he can hold a lottery and one other DVinfo member can receive the other XL-1s.

I'm off to pick up my XL-1 from the shop, one other idea, if the email campaign doesn't work, we could also ALL fax a message to the powers that be, I'm sure that several hundred faxes from all over the world will get some attention, I got my fax machine ready to go.
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #23
Wrangler

He Chris, if Canon wants a wrangler over here sometime...

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Of the Soderbergh cameras, at least one was autographed on the tape transport door and went "on tour" to most of the U.S. tradeshows all last year, displayed under a locked glass case like some trophy (it was after all Canon's trophy cam). CUSA considers it a prized possession, and I think it has a place of honor somewhere on the Marketing V.P.'s shelf.

The other Soderbergh camera may have been given to Steven, although I'm not sure about that.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #25
ChorizoSmells

What a waste, those cameras should be in the hands of someone who wants to create beautiful images. Too bad there isn't a SPCC, Society for the Prevention of Cruelity to Cameras, we could get those Marketing V.P.'s locked up so they couldn't harm anymore cameras.
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Chris seemed almost embarrassed because we dug up this thread. Why am I not surprised? Itīs of course because he is just as humble as we all think he is.

Donīt be embarrassed, Chris, because you do deserve all these nice words you get on the board and you really deserves a new Canon XL1s from Canon. I am glad to hear that you highly values the experience and good care from Canon when you occasionally are invited to work in their trade show booths. But, even then you are doing a very valuable job for them.

I still am waiting to see what Steve can tell us about the response from last year, but if Canon donīt want to give him a camcorder, I think we should do something about it ourselves.

Think about it......... Today we are more than 2700 members. A new Canon XL1s in the USA costs about $3,200, according to Tim. That is just a little more than $1 from each of us. I guess that all of us would like to show our appreciation for Chris by giving him, say $1.5 from each of us. With a good price from Canon (at least they should be able to give a good price for the camcorder), he could even get some gadgets as well.

Most of us have probably spent thousands of dollars on video equipment, so I guess this isnīt much to ask for? What do you all think about this?

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #27
RED Code Chef

I've thought a while about what to write down here.... the best
thing I can come up with is that I think Chris' post said it all. If
I know Chris a bit I don't think he is being too humble... I'm not
trying to step on any toes here because we ALL love this place
and the offers being made are very very generous, don't get
me wrong. But it might also be a possibility that someone doesn't
"wants"/"needs" such things.... Again this is a difficult things to
write without hurting some peoples feelings perhaps, I hope I
don't. I'm just trying to say that I think we must be a bit carefull
as to where to go and where not... This is ofcourse my very
personal opinion and I hope no-one is "offended" by it....

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:52 AM   #28
ottotune

Come on Canon! You DO NOT want to see a bunch of prosumers 'en mass'.... That many malcontents in one spot might cause a super critical mass causing a blow out of the space time continum. (Working on my screenplay skills, guys, just bare with me...)

Video at 11 in front of Canon Headquarters showing Chris NOT getting a free 'S'... to be aired nationwide... (or at least on the better streaming sites)
Edward Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #29
Wrangler

Or Chris is holding out for an XL2! ;)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Donīt worry Rob, I am not "offended" by your reply. I guess you know Chris better than many of us, and maybe you are right.

My suggestion was never ment to be a kind of charity, I donīt think Chris need that. Maybe Chris is a rich guy, what do I know? But, Thatīs not the point. What I do know, is that if I had spent a lot of my time doing what he has done for us, it would have been nice with this kind of appreciation. But, I would probably been a little embarrased myself. ; )

My suggestion was only forwarded because I was beginning to feel a little frustrated. Frustrated about the fact that nothing seemed to happen in this case. I still feel that we should give Canon a chance to do what they should have done a long time ago, I only wanted to make a suggestion for an alternative if they donīt.

Please forgive me Chris, if this is something that you really donīt "want"/"needs". It was certainly not my intention to offend you in any way. I seem to remeber you said in one of the threads a while ago that you wouldnīt mind having the opportunity to spend even more time for the community (something like that), but you had to work as well to make a living? The community have some sponsors so (at least I hope) you donīt have any expences running it. If the members of the community had given you an XL1s, it would just be like as we sponsored you as well. In our case we are getting much more than we give anyway.

Thanks for your reply Rob, but I still feel the same if Chris doesnīt mind.

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News