Confirmed: BOTH Sony & JVC will show HDV cams at NAB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 20th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Confirmed: BOTH Sony & JVC will show HDV cams at NAB

Please see a story from the Gov Video website

http://governmentvideo.com/articles/...icle_385.shtml

and headlined: Sony jumps on HDV bandwagon by Mark Pescatore and dated Mar 18, 2004, 17:15

"...Sony will introduce its own solution to U.S. video professionals at NAB2004, while JVC will preview a 3-CCD ENG-style HDV camcorder at the show.

The news follows a demonstration of Sony’s prototype HDV camcorder at its booth at CeBIT 2004, an information technology and telecommunications trade show in Hannover, Germany, in March. According to a Sony spokesperson, there will be a Sony HDV camcorder on display at NAB as well... "
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #2
Trustee

This is great news! I'm selling my HD10u everyone.

If the Sony HDV camera compares to the PD170, we're definately all in for a treat. I'm hoping that it's robust and they do cheese it out with some lame feature...you know, that one thing that bugs the Hell out of you.

The PD-150 had a crappy power connection. That's one thing that always bugged me. The power thing that connects to the camera is small and if you slam your case down on it...it's toast. I'd rather have a solid connection.

Murph
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:22 AM   #3
Major Player

check this also - there is mock up of the camera here

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...r-03_17_04.htm

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:38 AM   #4
Outer Circle

I see that article is on one of CMP's sites. CMP owns dv.com, etc, and Miller owns CMP, or so I'm told. Isn't Pana one of the companies adopting HDV? There was no mention of them.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No, Panasonic did not adopt HDV.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:50 PM   #6
Contributor

JVC and Panasonic have the same parent company, so if JVC designs stuff expect Pana to have access to the designs and follow real soon with similar or 'pro' versions of the same products and technologies. Happened with D9.
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:33 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

A little off the subject, but Mark Pescatore is a really nice guy, as is his editing partner, Michael Silbergleid (who told me about the HDV 3 ccd camera). They were there for the shoot I did with our own Jon Fordham (DP), who shot with the HD10. Really nice guys that have great information.

I know, off the subject, but they know HDV!

heath
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

from the press release:

1. " .. manual gain control .. "

2 " .. manual shutter speed .."

Say no more.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Re: from the press release:

<<<-- Originally posted by Chaim Bianco : 1. " .. manual gain control .. "

2 " .. manual shutter speed .."

Say no more. -->>>

Sony or JVC?

heath
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #10
Major Player

I hope they incorporate Cine Gamma into these things. After watching a lot of DVX100 footage, the hard edge of over-exposed light is very noticable on other non-cine cams..especially the JVC HD10.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #11
Contributor

> I hope they incorporate Cine Gamma into these things.
> After watching a lot of DVX100 footage, the hard edge
> of over-exposed light is very noticable on other
> non-cine cams..especially the JVC HD10.

Hmm. Isn't the 'cine gamma' the opposite, and actually designed to use underxposure and then transfer to film? What I mean is, 'cine gamma' a-la-DVX100 will make the hard edge even more noticable if you do not expose correctly, when watching the result in a video monitor. The normal setting on the DVX100 should actually result in more 'film like' video than if using the 'cine' setting, unless you are seeing video which has been scanned to film and transferred to video again. I really thought I had finally figured it all out until I read your post Glenn, or am I all wrong about this?

What I would like is a camera that does exactly the opposite of the DVX100, that lets you apply a more non-linear transfer function like what you get with Stib's Film Curves or other similar 'film look' plug ins. I thinks that's what other people wanted too and this is why there are new gamma curves in the revised DVX100A.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #12
Major Player

From what I have seen, and from what I have read, I thought the purpose of cine-gamma was to mimic the gamma curve of film. Video has a hard edge as it approaches its over exposure limits, as opposed to film, which has more of a soft edge between what is overexposed and what is exposed properly. But if I am wrong, someone please let me know. This question might be better suited for the DVX100 forum though...
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #13
Contributor

> Video has a hard edge as it approaches its over exposure limits

Yes, this is why video cameras usually have a transfer function which is non-linear (some high end cams even have a programmable transfer function). And when you use 'cine-like' gamma on the DVX100 you are providing a linear gamma that will provide the most faithfull tonal reproduction so that when you transfer to film you will get the desired film-look. Linear, really. Check the graph:
http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/DVX100-gamma.gif

This is consistent with DVFilm's recommendation for shooting video with the DVX100 to be transferred to film:
http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/dvx100settings.htm

Adam Wilt, in reference to 'cine-like' gamma mode: "The caveat is that there is NO highlight compression at all: the tonal scale runs smoothly right up to 109% and then whacks right into a flat white ceiling"

Jon Fauer, ASC: "We first noticed that one of the options, 'Cine Gamma,' is something of a misnomer in the sense that it isn't a film look for video capture. This setting is used when you know that the captured images are going back to film" . This comes from:
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/product.htm

Uhh... I think you are right though, we are getting off topic. So to get back to the topic: I would like my dream camera to have both a 'for-film-transfer' and a 'film-simulation' gamma :D
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #14
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Indeed, you're veering far afield from "News".

These are matters that have been discussed in the DVX forum.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News