Analog Broadcast Shutdown at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Analog Broadcast Shutdown

It seems odd to me that there's no mention of the analog broadcast shutdown tomorrow (in the US).

We'll probably here about a little chaos and confusion among folks that find themselves without any television reception.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I was planning on throwing a "Good Bye to Analog TV" party back in Feb. but then Washington DC started worrying about all those lazy Americans and the TV they were about to lose because they didn't know how to follow direction.

I would be trying to throw a party tomorrow night except I've been pretty busy lately & I have to be at the airport first thing on Saturday.

I think I'll at least try to stay up at midnight & watch a count down to the video turning to snow on as many TVs I can fit into one room.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Major Player

The last station still broadcasting analog in Lexington went dark at midnight, and since I rent (no arial antennas allowed) and live in downtown (too many buildings cutting signals down) I get very few channels...guess i will be getting cable after all...(grrrr)
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Trustee

Good bye analog TV. It was a fun ride.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Hard to beleive a country the size of the us shuts analogue in one go,this little place here is shutting down region by region, it would probobly have been best to do it all over the same here.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
Hard to beleive a country the size of the us shuts analogue in one go,this little place here is shutting down region by region, it would probobly have been best to do it all over the same here.
We ended up spreading it out. There was a test city. There were a few stations that requested to switch off analog early. Hawaii switched off analog early due to the nesting season of birds near the TV towers (seriously.)

We had the original hard date of Feb 17th, 2009. That was immediately after the new administration took office and had their hands full. The date was delayed until June 12th, but some stations switched off in Feb as scheduled, and some others switched off between the two dates.

So, in effect, it's been a phased transition with digital migrating in over a decade or so, and analog shutting off within well under a year.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, analog broadcasts should all be shutdown by now. The world didn't end, so I guess all is well.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I wonder if there are any analog transmitters on eBay yet...
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
The world didn't end, so I guess all is well.
Well, it might have, but I can't get my local news station so I'm not sure....
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Well, analog broadcasts should all be shutdown by now.
We have one channel still broadcasting in analog with NO digital alternative for that channel. Wonder how long it will be before they get shut down...

Our local ABC channel is now broadcasting a "you need to buy a converter" message on analog.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
We have one channel still broadcasting in analog with NO digital alternative for that channel. Wonder how long it will be before they get shut down...
LPs--Low Power stations including translators are not included in the DTV fiasco. Dunno if that's the case here.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

It's definitely possible that it could be a LP station. It's 3ABN which, I believe, is typically satellite based. The home base for the station just happens to be local to me so it's quite possible it's broadcasting low power.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post

Our local ABC channel is now broadcasting a "you need to buy a converter" message on analog.

It's probably to aid those that still weren't aware or that are having a hard time receiving a digital signal. The ABC and CBS affiliates in my area are running 24hr. PSAs similar to those for 30 days and then they're shutting down completely.

Quote:
...since I rent (no arial antennas allowed) and live in downtown (too many buildings cutting signals down) I get very few channels...

Just to add my two cents, using the above as part of an example, the major problem I've been hearing about is not that all people left in the dark procrastinated, but that they got carried away with the never ending PSAs of the overly excited people plugging in their old rabbit ears into the converter boxes and getting a crystal clear signal...where in most rural and metro areas that is not the case due to distance and obstructions like tall buildings.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Major Player

That is very much the case with my family. We are in a ground level property close to downtown Lexington sandwiched between the University of Kentucky (lots of multi-level structures) and the only skyscrapers in the area. I had my converter box since Nov of last year and have tried 6 different antennas of varying size, type, and style. The only option left is an aerial antenna, which are not permitted because I rent. So in order for me to get public access programming for myself and my 6 yr old to enjoy, I have to pay for cable. Something there just doesn't seem right...
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
That is very much the case with my family. We are in a ground level property close to downtown Lexington sandwiched between the University of Kentucky (lots of multi-level structures) and the only skyscrapers in the area. I had my converter box since Nov of last year and have tried 6 different antennas of varying size, type, and style. The only option left is an aerial antenna, which are not permitted because I rent. So in order for me to get public access programming for myself and my 6 yr old to enjoy, I have to pay for cable. Something there just doesn't seem right...
Have you tried an RF amplifier?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News