DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Apple does it once again! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/27876-apple-does-once-again.html)

Jeff Donald June 21st, 2004 05:04 PM

Apple does it once again!

This might be of interest to Apple fans and owners of iPods (or BMW's).

Dave Cook June 21st, 2004 07:19 PM

SWEET. I bought my first Mac last November after "driving" a PC since about 1988. It ROCKS. Feels like I traded up to a BMW actually. More than my G5, I love OS X. It blows Windows away...

Charles Papert June 21st, 2004 07:41 PM

Very nice!

I've been waiting for the Dension Ice to materialize for my Audi for a while, it seems to be permanently not-quite-in-stock. It does a fair amount of what the BMW setup does (less displaying the tracks visibly).

And I hear Alpine is coming out with a truly iPod-compatible head unit that does all of the goodies also.

Fabulous way to drive.

Aaron Rosen June 22nd, 2004 12:31 AM

Only Apple.

That's two great things in one. Wow. Im impressed.

Rob Lohman June 22nd, 2004 05:15 AM

I'm wondering why everyone is giving credit to Apple for this.
I'd give the credit to BMW. They are the ones who made their
system work with an iPod. Apple might have given support on
it, but the connector was always there, right?

Greg Harris June 22nd, 2004 05:54 AM

Im totally lost, I clicked on the link and it comes up to a personal page. Where should i go?

Dave Cook June 22nd, 2004 06:03 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : I'm wondering why everyone is giving credit to Apple for this.
I'd give the credit to BMW. They are the ones who made their system work with an iPod. Apple might have given support on it, but the connector was always there, right? -->>>

Agreed. If Apple would have done this the iPod wouldn't have ended up in the glove compartment :P I'm sure that Apple had something to do with this deal though...

Rob Lohman June 22nd, 2004 06:42 AM

Greg: I'm not sure what you are doing. But if you click on the
word THIS in the first post it opens an iPod page at apple with
a movie (ad) in the middle of the screen. I just checked and
still works okay here.

Dave: that's what I'm saying. Ofcourse Apple had something to
do with it. But it looks to me like BMW did all the work....

Dave Cook June 22nd, 2004 06:47 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Dave: that's what I'm saying. Ofcourse Apple had something to do with it. But it looks to me like BMW did all the work.... -->>>

I knew that's what you meant :) I just wish I could get that in my Ford Focus! Let's see, I would also dig Bluetooth for my cell phone and GPS to get me around, but that's another subject :P

Greg Harris June 22nd, 2004 06:57 AM

ok well, how many people here really have a BMW. I just got a NEW jeep grand cherokee, so what am i suppose to do.? This feature wouldn't only be offered to BMW owners would it?????

Rob Lohman June 22nd, 2004 07:00 AM

Greg: as someone else noted it would be quite likely that car
entertainment manufacturers will incorporate it into more
products. That should be very likely. Then again there are plenty
of MP3 playing car systems already out that can play a lot of
MP3's directly from CD. That's a pretty long list as numbers as
well...

Jeff Donald June 22nd, 2004 07:21 AM

But an iPod is much more than an Mp3 player. Not to mention the number of Mp3's that even the 10Gb (smallest) iPod holds. I use mine to store data and it has a copy of my OS and several disk recovery utilities to work on other Mac systems.

Greg Harris June 22nd, 2004 07:42 AM

Yeah I have the 10g and i love it, but I can't play it in my new jeep because it only has a cd player, and i dont want to hook up that device that you tune your radio to because i heard the quality sucks. I use to just hook it up to my tape player. But something that hooks up directly to my stereo and can be controlled by the buttons on my head unity/stearing wheel would be GREATTTTT!!!!!

Greg Harris June 28th, 2004 06:25 AM

Is this only going to be in BMW's

Glen Elliott June 28th, 2004 06:57 AM

Bah! Who needs an iPod? I have a Kenwood Excellon in-dash cd player/tuner that plays MP3s. I can fit 12 albums on one CDR. Use the +/- keys to change tracks, and the AM/FM keys too change folders (albums).