DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New Apple Cinema Displays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/28179-new-apple-cinema-displays.html)

Jeff Donald June 28th, 2004 12:52 PM

New Apple Cinema Displays

As expected a new 30" LCD screen is available. Details here.

Christopher C. Murphy June 28th, 2004 01:01 PM

H.264/AVC information

Cool! They mention this ...."Final Cut Pro HD — can take full advantage of this advanced video codec."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/h264.html

Does anyone know if this will help with rendering HDV?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html

Harrison Murchison June 28th, 2004 09:29 PM

Apple's jumping on the AVC bandwagon with both feet. That's great! It's going to be a very popular codec as you can see.

As for Core Image and Video I think we'll see it's effect migrate rapidly over Apple's lineup. It's going to excel in displaying images or video and applying processing on them. I wouldn't be suprised to see Final Cut Pro 5 be heavily based on Core Image/Video speeding up the UI in some areas.

Kurth Bousman June 29th, 2004 11:31 AM

display blues !

Well, I'd like steve to explain why these beautiful screens don't have s-video and component inputs !!! I'd go for the new HP 23 incher myself, just because of this oversight. Apple continues disappointing me , even though I've got 3 !!

Jeff Donald June 29th, 2004 01:06 PM

Kurth, I think Apple had graphics, print and professional video people more in mind with the 30" monitor. I would I have no use for an S-Video input, as I would route S-Video to a production monitor. If I can afford a $3,000 computer screen I can certainly afford a $2,000 broadcast production monitor.

Kurth Bousman June 29th, 2004 02:34 PM

Jeff - I disagree, with respect, of course for everyone to choose how to spend their own money, but the HP 23" for $1700 and also, it is a 16x9 HDTV , well I don't believe I'll need that $2000 sony, and I believe I'll find another toy or tool to buy with those dwindling dollars. Like a new Sony 24P ! Yes , if I was sitting on a hundred K , just to spend on image making tools, then I might go for a pair of those 30 inchers ( and throw in a plasma ) but, my question is, why couldn't Apple just as easily have included at least an S Video ? Doesn't make since , if Apple wants to be the cutting edge, it better hone that bone ! Kurth

Harrison Murchison June 29th, 2004 08:12 PM

Re: display blues !

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : Well, I'd like steve to explain why these beautiful screens don't have s-video and component inputs !!! I'd go for the new HP 23 incher myself, just because of this oversight. Apple continues disappointing me , even though I've got 3 !! -->>>

Not half as disappointing as the pixel response on the HP. It's 25ms while the new Apples are 16. If you were looking at still photography I'd say that's not much of a diff but when we're talking moving objects i'm taking 16ms over 25 anyday of the week.

Ignacio Rodriguez June 29th, 2004 08:56 PM

> I'd like steve to explain why these beautiful screens don't
> have s-video and component inputs

Sorry but, what would you really need those for? Video sent to the monitor from the computer will be sharper, and you would have had to pay for the extra circuitry (AD conversion) for those inputs. Remember... these are DIGITAL displays so any analog IO hits heavily on the price. If you are editing DV, HDV, HD you have no need to go analog and back to digital, right?

Kurth Bousman June 30th, 2004 01:05 PM

Well , one use for lcd's for me , are standalone exhibition devices- I'm an artist and put video works on walls. I'd like to have multiple options.I don't want to have to use my computers for dvd players ! And about that response time question between 25 and 16 ms - I'm not so sure you can trust response time accuracy on spec sheets and for most video, unless you're doing motion analysis, 25 is just fine ! So - I still want Steve to explain !!

Mark Sloan July 7th, 2004 06:27 PM

Steve would respond: "Its a computer display, not a TV." It only has DVI so it would not work with a lot of home theatre type equipment either. If you want a TV display, you would go buy else where. Apple isn't trying to be Gateway or HP and sell TVs... so why criticize them for that?

Kurth Bousman July 7th, 2004 07:01 PM

well then , what's all this "digital hub " propaganda ! Hey , I love mac os , but to accept every move Steve makes like it's straight from heaven is only slowing the improvements and integration of existing technologies. Consumers need to be alot more critical and Apple could stand listening to alittle constructive criticism.Monitors are for images - no matter the source.

Jeff Donald July 7th, 2004 09:05 PM

Apple is a niche market, just not your niche. Stop looking to Apple as the only solution. I don't expect to get Chevy to compete with Porsche and vice versa.

Kurth Bousman July 7th, 2004 10:34 PM

,,,didn'y I say I'd probably buy an HP 23 incher, if I was going to buy . And in digital imagery , I wouldn't call Apple a niche . ( Hey Steve are you listening ! )

Nick Hiltgen July 7th, 2004 10:53 PM

While we're talking about not including, I'd like to know why no "all in one" home stereo systems include record players anymore. For that matter why don't they include quadrophonic inputs for the laserdisc players. Surely more people would buy the newer home stereo's if they had built in record players and quadrophonic input for people's laserdisc players. I mean don't get me wrong CD's and DVD's are great but what about MY personal needs.