DV Expo East - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 14th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #16
Major Player

I went to the EXPO today. It was pretty cool. I got to play with the freshly announced XL2. Gorgeous cam. Footage from the cam was fantastic, and had yet to be color corrected. Also learned some valuable time saving techniques for Premiere Pro, and After Effects.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #17
Major Player

really, like what kind of techniques? Also did sony have their HD cam their, or did you ask Sony when it should be released?
thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #18
Major Player

The Premiere techniques were mostly little time savers, like holding CTRL when doing moves on the timeline to extract clips and reposition them while allowing them to all snap together instead of getting muddled together, using the preview monitor window to work through each individual edit, and being able to scrub each clip together to see if there is a better spot to make a cut, using the keyboard more, and then color correction tips, like how to use 3 point more efficiently.

I spent almost all day at Panasonic, Canon, and Adobe. I meant to go to Sony today, but I got called in to work. I'll probably go tomorrow. It was my first EXPO and I got so dazzled by the XL2, that I nearly forgot about everything else.

What was interesting at the Pana booth, was that one of the reps told me they plan to have a working Palmcorder size model camcorder next April with solid state recording using a single PCMCIA card, that is housing four 4GB SD cards. I don't know how they can make that affordable, but I can't wait. (and he definitely wasn't talking about something bigger like the DVX100 because he pointed to the PV-DV851 I was holding when he said it)
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Wow. Nobody wants to chime in on Pana saying that they're bringing solid state to the Palmcorder line using DV25 AVI codec (non-MPEG4)? I feel like that is a very big deal, and hope somebody else does too...any takers?
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #20
Skyonic New York

great for shooting 5 minute clips, whats it going to cost me to shoot a few hours?

pana needs to make 12 gig memory cards for $3.75 then i will be excited, otherwise its just a novelty
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #21
Major Player

As I stated in my earlier post, it would be using a 16GB PCMCIA card made up of four 4GB SD cards. Seems like they will find an affordable way to do it, otherwise, there is no reason to put that system in a prosumer model.
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #22
Skyonic New York

from
http://www.dvformat.com/2003/05_may/features/cw_english_panasonic24.htm

DMN: Give us an idea, then, the four-gig card, how much will that cost? You're saying they come with the camera, but what if we wanted to buy, say, four more?

English: Honestly, it's a tricky answer to give you right now, because the one-gigabyte chips aren't even on the market.

DMN: So you don't know.

English: Prices fall constantly, so the pricing of that is really going to be known towards the end of the year. But it's certainly going to be several hundred dollars. Certainly, there's no question it's several hundred dollars -- it's not $20, it's not $1000, it's two, three four hundred, something in that region.

again unless the cards will cost around the 5-4 dollar mark count me out, good idea bad market timing
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

How can Stuart English be expected to predict pricing for a product whose market is constantly in flux. That's a bad interviewer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #24
Skyonic New York

chris you have a point, but one thing you can predict is 12 gigs won't be had for less then 10 bucks in 2005
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #25
Major Player

OK- lets get down to the GOOD STUFF. Like did anyone go to the SONY booth and find out when my beautiful HD cam is coming out. If so did they have any pictures there, and will it have 24p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #26
Major Player

did sony have 3 chip hdv on hand again?

Hi, just wondering if Sony at DV Expo east had 3-chip HDV prototype on display again???

thanks

any comments from sony reps at the show re: this new cam?

thanks again!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM   #27
Major Player

I wanted to check out what was up with the Sony HDV cam and see some of the Vegas 5, and Soundforge/Acid tutorials as well, but I had to work on Thursday and Friday. I never made it to the Sony booth at all. Sorry guys. I'm sure somebody else must have though, right?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News